Photo Rehab Cover Makeover: The Summer of Chasing Mermaids

Another Cover Makeover Challange! . . . OK, so I’m still interested. Don’t know for how long, but for now I once again pick up the gauntlet.

Here’s what we were given as the original:

3_TheSummerofChasingMermaids

It’s The Summer of Chasing Mermaids and here is a very brief excerpt from the author Sarah Ockler: The youngest of six talented sisters, Elyse d’Abreau was destined for stardom—until a boating accident took everything from her. Now, the most beautiful singer in Tobago can’t sing. She can’t even speak.

Hmm . . . probably not my kind of book; no guns, justified killings, stoic heroes, strong heroines, and a definite dive into angst. Teen angst, at that.

Still, I’m not going to let that stop me from remaking the cover. Let’s see . . . it’s set in Orgon . . .

0023-Oregon_Coast-Processed_DIGI

. . . but none of the photos I have sing to me. It has a water/beach/sea/coastal feel to it, so perhaps some of my Florida shots.

Tell me this does not evoke Summer (even though it’s shot in February) . . .

Navarre,  Pensacola,

Navarre, Pensacola,

. . . although, perhaps, this is more toward the “climate apocalypse” theme than something about romance and teens.

But, I do have a few photos from Florida that might fit . . . mermaids hang around pylons, don’t they?

Navarre, Pensacola,

Navarre, Pensacola,

Navarre, Pensacola,

Navarre, Pensacola,

The second one is clean enough to be used as a book cover. Still, not quite what I am looking for . . . more mystical, I wager, is the way to go. How about this?

Navarre, Pensacola,

Navarre, Pensacola,

You know what, I need Hawaii . . . one can’t go wrong with Hawaii.

0045_Kauai_Day_5-Processed-2_DIGI

A beautiful place, for sure, but me thinks not the right mood. Perhaps a tighter shot?

0057_Kauai_Day_5-Processed_DIGI

Better, I think this is the one . . . no, wait . . . this is the perfect shot, right here.

0059_Kauai_Day_5-Processed_DIGI

So, What can I do with the above?

I can do this . . .

Chasing Mermaids2_DIGI

Too busy, I know, but I like it.

Edited to Add:
I ran a few more version of this cover challenge in THIS post.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Conversation Thread

Conversation Thread

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

This entry was posted in Photography, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Photo Rehab Cover Makeover: The Summer of Chasing Mermaids

Your choice is a great shot but my favorite is the last Pensacola shot. Plenty of room for the text and an overlay.

2. I love what you did with the cover, disperser – especially with the two kids in the right corner of the book. But I also love the 2nd Pensacola shot as it’s very moody. ;-)

3. mybrightlife says:

Lovely trip through your beach venues!

4. Ooh! I love your cover better than the original…the scene and the abstract-y kids in the top corner! AND I love hearing your thought process and seeing how you decided what photos to consider and why…and then the end result!
    Doesn’t sound like my kind of book, either…for some of the reasons you listed, but mainly the teenage angst part. ;-)
    I don’t like when they put actual/detailed photos of people on book covers…because I want to picture them in my head the way I want them to look, and I’ve actually seen covers where the photo of a person did NOT match the description of that person in the book, and I’m like, “Did you people even read the book?!” :-P HA! :-D

I take flack for not describing characters, but that’s exactly why I don’t . . . I rather people insert their own image of them.

However, I think this book is targeted to teens, and they are still in the hormonal stage where they respond to visual cues. Plus, the cover lets them know that it’s directed at them, and not us old fogeys.

• Ha, true! I didn’t think about those things. Good points! Been a l-o-n-g time since I read a YA book. :-)
        I remember reading a book as a young teenager (The Outsiders) and when they made the movie based on the book, they got one of the characters all wrong visually…in the book they described him has having blonde, almost white, hair. And in the movie he had dark brown hair. That insected (get it?! “bugged”) me! :-P
        PS…I’m not a teen, but I’m still in the hormonal stage! ;-)

I like your choice, the two Pensacola shots, and okay, everything with surf in it.

After serious consideration, I think your final choice is just right. Looks mighty good to me.

I think it’s one of those things where one compares a finished product against one with potential. Had I made more than one version, it would make for a better comparison.

I could actually do that fairly quickly . . . perhaps I’ll give it a go later.

7. desleyjane says:

Marvellous cover, so creative. And I love those Pensacola shots. Stunning post all round. And I’m glad you’re still interested in joining. 😄