The Yard – Part Three

So, I switched my attention from the potted to the planted plants. The planted plant have a higher probability of housing insects.

Sure enough, the very first Stella D’Oro lily I see has a fly in its flower.

20150710_DSC0827_1_DSC0827_DIGI

I was waiting for it to finish drinking, but it just sit there . . . I moved on. From some distance, I noticed another fly on a flower . . . this one was doing headstands . . .

20150710_DSC0829_1_DSC0829_DIGI

20150710_DSC0831_1_DSC0831_DIGI

20150710_DSC0831_1_DSC0831-Processed_DIGI

This is the first time I witnessed a goldenrod crab spider catch anything. Well, I did not see it catch it. The fly was obviously already dead.

Spiders have many eyes, and one of them must have noticed me and my lens. The spider, with considerable alacrity and seemingly no effort, swung around the underside of the flower, dead fly in tow.

20150710_DSC0833_1_DSC0833_DIGI

20150710_DSC0835_1_DSC0835_DIGI

I now wanted to check if the first fly was, in fact, also spider food. I nudged it with my finger and it flew away. So, not spider food.

By the time I returned to the spider, it had swung back upright . . .

20150710_DSC0839_1_DSC0839_DIGI

. . . but as soon as I snapped the first shot he (she?) hightailed it . . . er . . . downtailed it to the underside of the flower.

20150710_DSC0840_1_DSC0840_DIGI

20150710_DSC0842_1_DSC0842_DIGI

20150710_DSC0843_1_DSC0843_DIGI

. . . it mooned me in the process.

Now, I may be dense, but give me enough hints and I get the message; I was not welcomed here.

I took one last shot of a geranium bud before heading to the back yard.

20150710_DSC0848_1_DSC0848_DIGI

There is a shrub along the back fence that flowers nearly all summer . . . nice, small, and yellow flowers.

20150710_DSC0852_1_DSC0852_DIGI

20150710_DSC0853_1_DSC0853_DIGI

I soon noticed many of the flowers had visitors . . . I documented the movements of one of them.

20150710_DSC0856_1_DSC0856_DIGI

20150710_DSC0857_1_DSC0857_DIGI

20150710_DSC0858_1_DSC0858_DIGI

20150710_DSC0859_1_DSC0859_DIGI

I think this is the photo limit I’ve set for these posts. The next post will cover my visit to the Yarrow plant and some wildflowers  . . . and more bugs.

The corresponding SmugMug Gallery HERE. Of course, you can just click on each photo to get a larger (but not full-size) version.

This entry was posted in ants, Flowers, Goldenrod Crab Spider, Photography, Photography Stuff, Spiders and Insects and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Yard – Part Three

1. itsmeludo says:

Hi! I love your posts! Btw, sorry to disturb you, I’m new to WP do you think you could check out my blog and leave a comment. I’d love some help from someone more experienced as you! Keep it up! :)

Hmm . . . not sure you’d like my comments. The first would be to not go around begging readers to come see your stuff. The second one would be not to go around begging readers to come see your stuff. The third would be not to go around . . . well, you get the idea.

Seriously, there are something like a half a million new blogs every month . . . imagine, for a moment, if even 1% of them went around asking people to come visit them, let alone comment. That’s 5,000 blogs each month, or 60,000 each year.

Say they average 3 blog posts a week, that’s 60,000 blog posts a month, or 720,000 blog posts a year one would have to read and comment on.

Now, say you do what you are asking others to do . . . you would have no time to write your own blog.

. . . just saying . . .

Your pictures remind me that our flower gardens contain not only vegetation and pretty blossoms, but a whole nation of creatures, busily living out their lives, often unnoticed. I do enjoy the bees and butterflies, and the industrious ants, as long as they stay away from the house….but if I have any golden orbs, I think I will avoid bothering them in the hopes that they will follow suit. .

They seem perfectly content sitting unobserved . . . also, other than the one from a few years ago, most of the ones I’ve seen are quite small. I think, if need be, you could easily best them in a fair conflict. Presuming, of course, they play fair.

3. Wonderful macros. I had a similar spider on my daisies but I had a very difficult time getting a closeup shot that was worth anything. Maybe I’m getting too old to hand hold my camera and should try using my tripod, but then the little buggers move away so fast that I can’t get them at all.

4. OOH, I love your bug photos! So cool! Tis the season (for insects)! :-)
    “Welcome to my parlor,” said the Spider to the Fly! Maybe those 2 are in love and were just having some fun! ;-) Your photos of them might be accepted on a bugger website that…okay, never mind…in a rare moment, I’m not going to say what I’m thinking.
    You got mooned! Lucky you! :-)
    Can’t wait to see more!

Just got back from the SmugMug gallery. You know I totally enjoy your photos, but having a full screen of them is pure bliss!!! And looked at Original size, well . . . it’s blissful!

I’ve considered linking the full-size photos to the post, but WP tends to lose links and it ends up being a whole lot of work for literally nothing. I wish I could convince people to visit SmugMug at least for the photos they like.