Birth of the flowerbeds

Since I often mention our flowerbeds, I figure I should mention how they came to be.

Spring and Summer 2006 saw a fungus attack the grass in our front yard.

4415_Yard_Jun06-Processed_DIGI

Notice the small flowerbed on the left lower part of the photo. A few plants, a couple of rocks, and some cheap plastic edging separating its boundary from the surrounding grass.

We resolved to beautify the place. It was too late in 2006, but come 2007 we set to work.

These next photos show our upgrade of the original flowerbed. We did the little one before tackling the larger area.

5983_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

5985_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

You can see the blighted area behind the newly redone first half of our flowers showcase.

We decided to expand the original flowerbed and provide a level planting area for new flowers. Therefore, we split it into two levels incorporating the existing rocks in the boundary between the two levels. Well, actually three levels, but the third is a very small area.

5987_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

5991_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

5989_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

Of course, that was relatively easy compared to what awaited us.

5992_FlowerBed_1-Processed_DIGI

I had not documented our efforts in the construction of the first flowerbed, but remembered to do so for the second one.

6366_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6370_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

If you are like me, easily confused and fooled, you would rightly think the thing is lopsided. Not level, even.

You might think so, but I had a level . . . and made good use of it.

6355_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6369_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6368_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

Still, when you look at the construction from above it does seem out of plumb.

However, trusting in measurements and not my perception, we persisted.

6374_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6375_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6377_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI 6376_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6389_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

We moved a lot of stones and a lot of dirt, and there is a satisfaction to constructing something that is hard to match with anything else.

6383_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

6385_AUG07_MISC4_DIGI

A couple of years later we were still working out what we were going to plant in the new flowerbed. We had split a salvia and moved it up there, but not much else had yet happened.

4323_01AUG09_1_DIGI

Notice something else, as well. Green grass. Not just in front, but out in back.

4330_01AUG09_1_DIGI

4334_01AUG09_1_DIGI

Those were the pre-drought days and the days before $480/month water bills. These days, the grass has to fend for itself.

But back to the flowerbeds . . . here’s what they look like now (a week ago).

The upper flowerbed . . .

20150708_DSC0780_1_DSC0780_DIGI

20150708_DSC0783_1_DSC0783_DIGI

. . . and the lower flowerbed . . .

20150708_DSC0782_1_DSC0782_DIGI

20150708_DSC0781_1_DSC0781_DIGI

One thing I am proud of . . . none of those stones moved, and they look as good today as they did eight years ago.

This entry was posted in Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Birth of the flowerbeds

1. Wow!! A lot of hard work but its gorgeous. I wish I had the energy to do something like that.

2. renxkyoko says:

Your garden is lovely

. We cannot do anything this year… not even last year due to drought. Almost all the lawns in the neighborhood are brown , dead. A water utilities vehicle randomly checks out the neighborhood lawns . California farms have priority, ( 67% of food in the US come from California. ) over green lawns . I’m okay with this. Food is more important than beautiful lawns. You’re lucky over there water isn.’t a problem in your state. I wish you guys can give us some. ^^

Actually, you guys already take a lot of our water. Agreements made at a time when there was a lot of water still stand.

Unfortunately, personal consumption by Californians account for a small percentage of the water used. Most does go to farming, and you guys are rapidly depleting the aquifer you are relying on.

I don’t think conservation is going to cut it. I think the answer will be rethinking where we grow our food. If not . . . think Grapes of Wrath in reverse.

I am impressed!

4. mvschulze says:

Nice planning, and choice of inhabitants. I have issues with day lillies. They start out as almost like yours, many flowers, then struggle to re-flower. Do you remove the seed pods? Could be lack of watering…. but the green leaves seem to remain healthy. Just curious. M :-)

Yeah, the day lilies (currently blooming) will only last a few weeks, and then just sit there providing greenery. They do self-seed, so I don’t do anything to them other than cut them down in the fall.

Stella D’Oro lilies flower all summer.

5. Gorgeous! Well worth the effort! What a beautiful spot to enjoy! And your yards look like a peaceful place to relax! I know the birds and bees and other insects are enjoying it, too!
    I love seeing the progress of a project! :-)

Thank you. And the yard would be peaceful . . . except for the occasional dog, kids, adults, and humanity in general.

Truthfully, we do like sitting out there.

• My neighborhood is pretty quiet. There are only a few kids on our street and I like that they are here. They enjoy Cooper and he enjoys them. When I moved in they asked if they could draw on my section of the sidewalk with sidewalk chalk and I was thrilled! I love going out to my car and finding a heart, a smiley face, some stick figures, or flowers drawn on the side walk for me. :-)

6. PiedType says:

My back aches just looking at all that labor. But the results are fabulous. Bet the neighbors are envious. I know I am. Love your foundation plantings too. Around here all the homes have bare concrete footings showing and it looks so … unfinished (I come from a place where footings never showed). I’m adding a few plantings every year to try to cover them.

Hmm . . . I don’t think the neighbors harbor any envy toward us or our place. There are only a few who do a little yard decorating. The rest, zilch.

It really does not take a lot of effort. Those flower beds were done eight years ago, and it’s not like I’m out there fussing over them every day or even every week.

I also note that despite a number of neighbors having teens in the house, if there is any outdoor work to be done, it’s usually the dad out there (like mowing the lawn), and then only when it gets really bad.

Frankly, I see no purpose to having kids if they are not even going to mow the lawn.

• PiedType says:

Yep, mowing should become a kid’s chore as soon as he or she is old enough to safely handle a mower.

What does “safely” have to do with it? People can always make more kids, and it’s not good to coddle them; they grow up to be self-entitled people without any concept of self-reliance, responsibility, and the hardships of the real world.

Your, and Melisa’s, hard word definitively paid off. Your gardens and yards look splendid. It’s good to see how much you appreciate the natural world, with and without your camera. We’re lucky to have a landlord who takes very good care of his property. Though a little too overcrowded with knickknacks, his yards make our stay here better-er.