Writing and Learning

Some time ago I mentioned I applied to the Viable Paradise Workshop held every October on Martha’s Vineyard (this year is the 19th workshop). The post where I mentioned all that is HERE. That post also contains a copy (minus the epilogue) of my submission and a copy of my cover letter.

There are many reasons . . . well, a few reasons why I applied. Were I to boil it down to just one, it would be this:

I want a fair, unbiased, and honest appraisal of my writing.

That is the main thing, but of course I expect to gain more from the experience than just someone patting me on the head and saying “run along now, and let the big boys work” or “you’re ok; not great, but, you know . . . ok”

In a post predating the one where I decided to apply (HERE) I covered my often strained relationship with instructions and me wanting to do things my way. That is not to say that I eschew instructions. Au contraire! I crave learning but do so with the understanding I will outright take some of what I learn, adapt some of what I learn to how I do things, and outright reject some of what I learn as not fitting me.

Two subsequent posts (HERE and HERE) had me attempt to find out if I have a “strong voice”. Apparently, it’s something in high demand and expected from real writers. I’ll spare readers the effort of clicking on those links; the metrics I examined say I have no voice

Man . . . I already stutter, but now I find out I also have no voice.

A further blow was dealt me by articles covered in THIS post. I’m too old, don’t have the right education, I started too late . . . things are not looking good for me.

It sounds to me as if my only chance at VP is if there are only 24 applicants for the 24 positions. I tried finding out the number of yearly applicants, and it’s not something easily discovered. Some say a few hundred per year. Some say higher, and some say lower.

I guess I’ll ask them when I attend the workshop in October. Oh, yeah; did I mention my application was accepted?

WAIT! . . . I should include a photo . . .

3342_Nestle_Glass_Cup-2

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Personal, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Writing and Learning

1. Mm mm. Well this should be interesting. At least for the photos of MV …

2. mybrightlife says:

This all sounds extremely subjective…With all those stats against you the only choice you have is to blow this thing right out the water. Good luck.

There’s water?!

. . . I’m not a good swimmer; can’t even thread water as by buoyancy level is about a foot underwater.

• mybrightlife says:

Last time I checked MV was a coastal area? A favourite holiday hangout of the Clinton family if my memory of TV reports from my teen years serves me…or am I completely wrong? As far as the buoyancy goes, that is easily corrected by floating on your back, filling your lungs and sticking your stomach out. Having a bit of middle age spread doesn’t hurt either…

It’s an island, and yes, many ‘nose-up-in-the-air’ do vacation there, although we will be on the island after the prime season.

As for buoyancy . . . nope, won’t work. I know because we had a pool at our Michigan house. Threading water was a very laborious thing and barely kept my chin out of the water. I had friends who could float with the water line at mid-chest, and do that with little or no effort.

Floating on my back did not work because my legs dragged me down (pretty lean and muscular). I should mention I had rickets when I was younger, leaving me with a deformed rib cage and diminished lung capacity. That is probably what accounts for the fact that when I totally relax I “float” in an upright position with the surface about 6-12 inches above my head (and that’s with my lungs filled).

. . . plus, not much of a middle-age spread.

3. Ranger says:

Congrats, ejd! You so do have a voice and this proves it. Enjoy the workshop.

4. Eddy Winko says:

Congratulations! I wish the glass was half full of beer though.

Congratulations! This could be fun…looking forward to some interesting posts about the experience.

Thank you, Sandra. I doubt I will have time to write any blog posts while attending, but I do plan, as I always do, a recap and look back once the experience is behind me.

6. You DO have a voice…a good voice that I enjoy listening to (reading)! :-)
    YAY! Congrats! I’m so excited! I know it will be a good, interesting…even fun…experience!

Thank you, and regarding me having a voice . . .

Nah; I did the math. That does not mean that someone may not like the voice I do have; a few do, but it’s not a literary voice.

. . . from a literary standpoint I’m the equivalent of a mime.