Looking back at what was lost

Nearly three years ago I wrote of a walk I took in an area that was a planned development hurt by the housing slump of 2009.

These were some of the photos from that shoot . . .

Nature reclaims . . .

Nature reclaims . . .

The beetle basically ignored the bee, and did not budge.

The beetle basically ignored the bee and did not budge.

. . . at one point he even mooned me. Cheeky bastard!

. . . at one point he even mooned me. Cheeky bastard!

The original shot.

The original shot.

I also shot movies of it, but again, the flower was weaving vigorously in the wind, and the movies are for crap.

A shot of the plants growing between the road and the curb.

A shot of the plants growing between the road and the curb.

The SmugMug Gallery for that shoot is HERE and, in my opinion, worth visiting (or revisiting if one is a long-time reader).

Mind you, I think the post itself is worth revisiting for my amazingly clever writing, but opinions differ on that point.

Anyway, this past year saw the developers come back and line all those empty areas with homes, uprooting trees, ripping out wildflowers, and basically making it a veritable suburban paradise . . . yes, that’s sarcasm.

Here’s what that looks like now . . .

wpid-20150615_074658-01.jpg

wpid-20150615_074714-01.jpg

wpid-20150615_074809-01_20150615150545838.jpg

. . . can’t say it’s an improvement . . .

This entry was posted in Flowers, Photography, Photography Stuff, Spiders and Insects and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Looking back at what was lost

1. Some of those houses look a bit ostentatious. I can never understand the American fashion for having open frontages. English people like to hide behind their castle walls/fences/hedges, moT and portcullis.

The original post was nice. See! I did visit. I liked the grass shots (just to prove I visited).

Clearly, Mother Nature is a much better planner than those builders. Love the original post.

They sure build big ugly houses today. But that’s what people want to go with their big ugly cars.

HEY! . . . I drive a big ugly car.

Those lots are very small, and those homes are packed in there very tightly. Not something I would be interested in.

4. We have a very large empty space across the street from us that it one of the reasons we bought our house. Its a wonderful open space with numerous wildlife and trees. It is privately owned although it has been listed for sale for several years. That is one area that is targeted for development in the future and I think when that happens it will be time to move out into the country or something. I can’t imagine having a whole subdivision built across the street from us. Wide open spaces are getting harder to find.

5. I love living in a rural area where nature is more prominent than human-beans and buildings.
    And I love that your photos capture the things most people are too busy rushing around to stop and notice. Nature…colors, sights, sounds, smells…bring beauty to life!
    The sunflowers here grow wild and very tall by the highway and in some fields.

6. disperser says:

Thanks . . . it’s because I keep my eyes down to avoid eye contact with people (I’m worried I would slap them silly if I really looked at them).

7. seekraz says:

Yah….I prefer the place with wildflowers growing out of the cracks between the roadway and the curbs….

8. The 5th December 1791 to be precise ej, I went back to your original post and am still trying to work out the conundrum you posed. I think with your love of flora and fauna you would be in your element in Western Australia during the Wildflower season, it’s unbelievable; many of the wildflowers are protected by law and it’s a criminal offence to pick them. The Kangaroo Paw is the floral emblem of WA and the Black Swan the fauna, you’d love our black swans too if you saw them.
    You might like to look at these links.

By the Bye, the state of Western Australia is roughly ten times the size as the state of Texas,

That does look like a lot of flowers . . . Not sure I could shoot them while upside down, but perhaps some day I might give it a try.

• You’d enjoy the Bungle Bungles too;

Strangest thing is we’re not upside down it’s you people in the northern hemisphere that are. The southern hemisphere is actually on the top. It must be so because Australia is slipping down towards the equator at a few millimetres a year so if we’re slipping down then the law of gravity indicates that we’re on top, also being as there are so many of you in the Northern Hemisphere it helped to swing you to the bottom. even YOU can’t fault that line of reasoning ej, though I’m sure you’ll give it a bloody good try :D

Actually, the spin of the earth is responsible for things trying to get to the equator, overcoming the gravitational force. As for proof that you are the land down under:

• Trouble with that argument is that in a few years time Australia will hook up with India Ceylon et al and be half in the Northern hemisphere and the southern states of Aus will still be south of the equator cos there ain’t enough room down there for the rest of us.
          Which will make it easy for the boat people, that’s if there are still people around; they wont have to risk their lives in un-seaworthy boats but will just stroll across at Darwin and Cape York and we’ll have a nice big inland sea which we now call the Gulf of Carpentaria which is about 300,000 kilometres in area.

Here endeth todays lesson :D

So, basically you’re agreeing you’ll always be under?

9. I enjoyed the videos in your next post, but your photography drops my jaw every time. The bee “original shot” is amazing.

Thank you. Of course, I would feel a lot better and deserving of the compliments I get if I had studiously set up the shot, controlled the light, etc. instead of just squatting down and pressing the shutter release button.

The truth is I’m lucky that when I do press the shutter, sometimes there’s something nice in front of the camera.

• Yes, but don’t sell yourself short. There are a lot of photography blogs on WordPress, and I continually come back to yours and only one other (which isn’t jaw-dropping, just pleasing). You have a good eye and big
        talent.

Shucks! It ain’t no big thing; just using my FSM-given talent.

. . . yes, still having problems receiving compliments. But, I thank you once again.