Yes, I’m still here.

It may not seem like it, but I still maintain and occasionally contribute to this blog. I probably shouldn’t as things seem to pile up faster than I can unpile them, but this is my relaxation. Writing is too, but that requires more time. Plus, I have some Beta reading to do for someone who is returning the favor.

In case anyone could not figure it out, we were traveling. Specifically, we traveled to Wyoming scouting possible relocation places. Wyoming is attractive for one big reason . . . the whole state of Wyoming has roughly 80,000 fewer people than the county I live in (El Paso County, Colorado).

That, in combination with other things that occupy my time, has forced me to put the blog if not on the back burner, at least in simmer mode.

Thunderbirds 2015

Thunderbirds 2015

So, for instance, I’ve yet to process the photos from the Air Force Academy graduation Thunderbirds show.

To tell you the truth, I’m also not very happy with most of the photos. The weather turned cloudy during the show, forcing me to shoot at a high ISO. On top of it, the smoke they liberally sprayed hither and fro interfered with the AF. Plus, in case people don’t know, those suckers move pretty fast.

Thunderbirds 2015

Thunderbirds 2015

Thunderbirds 2015

Yes, these are not bad . . . but the majority are more like that last one; almost good, but not quite.

Thunderbirds 2015

I will eventually process them all, but the above preview will have to suffice for now.

A couple of posts ago I threw up some photos I snapped using my Samsung Note II phone camera. I thought I should show what a real camera can do . . .

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

Those are taken on my way to Cody from Buffalo (WY). It’s an area that resembles South Dakota’s Badlands. Too bad it was overcast, but you can still see the colors and shapes.

This next shot is an example of some of the terrain and views . . .

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

Photos never do these things justice, but I’ll tell you I was shooting at least 75º from the horizontal; these things towered over the road.

Some might remember the phone photo of buffalo munching on the field of dandelions. Here’s a better version of it.

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

These next shots are of a different buffalo, and I’ll use it to illustrate a composition point.

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

Does it seem odd? Here’s a hint . . . you can shoot a close-up of the face and it will look OK. But cut the animal in two, and it will seem odd.

Better show the whole animal.

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

We did see a fair amount of animals, but less than we had hoped. We did see distant elk, but only a few up-close.

Yellowstone June 2015

We did not see any black bears, but we did see a grizzly with two cubs (very late in the evening – I had to shoot with a very high ISO, so the photos are very noisy).

Yellowstone June 2015

Yellowstone June 2015

Yes, she is walking on the trunk of a fallen tree; the cubs followed her (more pictures when I write the trip up).

No black bears and no wolves,  but buffalos were all over the place.

June 2015 trip to Wyoming

Yellowstone June 2015

And scenery . . . lots and lots of scenery.

Yellowstone June 2015

Yellowstone June 2015

What’s that you say? That’s not scenery? Well, I suppose it’s not . . . how about these?

The first shot is one of eight used to make the composite photo that follows it. All of them were taken from the Artist Point overlook at the Canyon area.

Yellowstone June 2015

Yellowstone June 2015

Now, if you click on any of the above photos, including the last two, a larger version of the corresponding photo opens in a new tab or window (longest dimension limited to 1280 pixels).

BUT . . . for them with a fast Internet hook-up, the last two photos are offered up full-size through the following links.

Click HERE for the full-size version of the waterfall alone (~7MB / 3264 × 4928 pixels). Once it opens, click anywhere to zoom in. I suggest zooming on the overlook above the spillway; you can see people there.

Click HERE for the full-size version of the 8-shots composite (~20MB / 6171 × 14461 pixels; you best have a fast connection). I suggest zooming in all over the place once it’s loaded; I mean, if you are going to make the effort, you might as well explore the shot.

I also took in the occasional smaller waterfall . . .

Yellowstone June 2015

I did not have my tripod with me, so I used the top of a handrail to steady the camera for the slow-water shot.

Finally, on the way out of the park I stopped at the lake’s edge . . . there were lots of skipping rocks just laying about. It took me about four tries to get the following shot (pick up rock, skip it on the surface so that it goes a while, swing up the five pounds of camera and lens, get the focus, and catch the stone before it dives beneath the water).

Yellowstone June 2015

And look at that!     . . . it be a yellow stone.

This entry was posted in Aeroplanes, Airplanes, Photography, Photography Stuff, Travel Stuff, Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Yes, I’m still here.

1. seekraz says:

Wonderful….I really enjoyed the stitched-together image of the falls and river…beautiful. I’m aware that you and your wife will be relocating, but don’t know that I’ve ever come across the reason. Is this a retirement move, or potentially job related? If that’s not too personal of a question, that is…..

How dare you ask about something I write on here for all to see? Oh, right . . .

We’re just looking for a smaller place, slower pace, less people, less congestion. We would also like something with less maintenance and upkeep that we could close up for a month or two if we want to spend winters elsewhere.

Basically, we like our current house and location, but it’s about twice the size we need. That said, it could be we end up staying here.

. . . it’s very difficult having so many options and no particular reason to go one place or another. Woe is us . . .

• seekraz says:

Thank you for the “rest of the story,”….but I do understand the down-sizing aspect of it all….and the less people part, too……oh, and the slower pace……and yeah, woe is you. :)

Wyoming is interesting. I have a friend who lives there, loves Wyoming and the town she lives in, loves the people, but is not very happy that a lot of the politicians have turned out to be trolls. The bad kind, not the fantasy story kind that charge a fee for going over the bridge. She feels these trolls are behaving in unacceptable ways, have stolen Wyoming from the people who live there and are getting away with it…Whether she is right or wrong is something you might have to consider if you are thinking of living there. Just saying.

Is this in reference to land or water rights, or more to do with oil and gas?

. . . still, I can’t think of a state where I am happy with what politicians are doing (or a country, for that matter). But, I can only blame politicians so much (a lot, to be sure); at some point I have to start looking at the voters and asking “what the fudge are you doing?”

In that respect, there are not many things that directly affects us. Unhappy we may be, but we could probably live almost anywhere as we have learned to insulate ourselves from people (as much as one can). You might call me an accomplished Antisocial Bastard.

I just saw the Blue Angels not long ago. They flew faster than I could get the camera out of the backpack. Still, a thrill to see (and hear).

I did not think their show was as good as previous years, and I choose poorly as far as location went; by the time we got there, all the choice spots were taken. I usually try to get to a place where I can both see the stadium and be far enough away to be where they make their turns. A few years ago they were flying right above us. This time I wanted a side view and closer, but it turned out it was not conducive to getting good photos.

Still a nice show, however.

4. Eddy Winko says:

Liking the wildlife shots, and thats an impressive waterfall, but not as impressive as sending a skimmer across the water and picking up the camera quick enough to get a shot of it. Or perhaps you had an accomplice.

No accomplice; Melisa was back at the car, about 200 yards away. What I do have is some facility both with throwing rocks and taking photos.

. . . plus, I was holding the camera with my other hand; I threw rocks, brought the camera to bear (that requires a two-handed grip) hoping I threw well enough for 6-7 skips.

Impressive would have been me throwing the rock, deploying the camera, taking the photo, then drawing my gun and shooting the rock before it went below the surface.

. . . maybe next time . . .

5. I just love the wildlife, so different from what we see in our bush, the Northern hemispheres wildlife seems to exude so much more power and strength than that of the Antipodes. I’d love to have visited these places instead of the cities when I was in the US, I do believe my greatest enjoyment was in the Yosemite National Park, Magnificent.

Beautiful pictures as we’ve come to expect from you Emilio, always a pleasure to view your posts.

I notice that you have now graduated to mixed metaphors, butchered grammar not proving satisfactory I presume,

Hither and thither, or to and fro, but hither and fro? No wonder I’m starting to look old

6. Buffalos Elks and Bears! Oh my! Great photos!
    Love how you put the water/waterfall photos together! Gorgeous!
    I think Wyoming would be a cool place to live! (and VERY cool in winter!)
    The photo of the skipping rock is amazing!

Thanks, and WY always had a special attraction for me since I read it only had half a million people in the whole state.

. . . and thanks about the skipping rock; I wasn’t sure I would be able to capture it, and it turned out better than I had hoped.

• I am fortunate to live in a rural area. I’ve lived in big cities like San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, etc. Even tho’ I am VERY outgoing and enjoy people…I like the quiet and less populated areas best. I enjoy my night walks listening to the owls hoot and the coyotes howl as I gaze at the moon and stars that seem so close I could reach up and touch them:-)

Night walks? . . . that might be a bit dangerous here. Even coyotes can be dangerous as some have attacked humans.

. . . and what a coincidence! I’m also outgoing and enjoy people; I just suppress it very, very well.

• The coyotes here mostly hang out in “the wash” (dry part of the riverbed)…so it’s just far enough away that I feel safe to walk where I do. One lady I know who walked near the wash with her dogs…one of her dogs got attacked by a coyote. :-( But, in almost 8 years, I’ve yet to see a coyote near my house.

They are good at keeping a low profile. I often find tracks in my yard, and yet I’ve never seen one near here. Anyway, carry something (a walking stick or maybe a AR-15) just in case.

• I have a flashlight that is, also, a taser/”stun gun”.

. . . it seems a bit inadequate but OK.

Just don’t try to hug them.

• Ha! Well, I could hug them to death or talk them to death! ;-)
          Most people have said the sound the taser makes usually scares them off. And if it doesn’t…maybe I am supposed to die by coyote?!

Or, maybe you’re supposed to die from eating too many chocolate-covered strawberries, and you are thwarting destiny by giving the coyotes a shot.

7. Can’t think of anything original or interesting, so I’ll stick with great photos and stunning scenery. I’m in awe of the skimming photo. I’ve never got the hang of that and can watch people doing it for ages.