There be hail to pay

Just a quick post . . . I previously spoke about the advent of the 2015 flower season. Well, right now it don’t look too good. Following the Mother’s Day blizzard, lots of plants were hurt (including trees) and last night we got the second hit.

Hail. Big, angry, pounding hail.

We had just sat down to enjoy a snack and some TV when we heard the first few pieces hit the house. They sounded like shots. Within a half minute, it was more like a machine gun. We literally jumped up and rushed out to bring the flowers pots under cover.

Let me tell you . . . it hurt. We got most of them in before they were severely damaged, but some got hurt bad within the span of under a minute.

We got soaked, of course, and the brief interval that the North-facing sliding door was open was enough for hundreds of hail stones to gain entry and invade our wood floor . . . which we then had to clean before the hail melted.

20150529_144835-Processed

Here’s the basket that sits on the deck table . . .

Before

Before

After

After

Of course, we could not bring in the annuals from the flowerbeds.

20150529_080049-Processed

The Peonies were already hurt by the frost, and they took another good hit . . . I don’t expect much from them, but we’ll see.

20150529_080103-Processed

The above shot is from this mid-morning (the day after). Small plants were buried, and larger ones all showed damage. The aspens, maples, and dogwood trees also showed a lot of damage (many pieces of leaves litter the ground).

This is what the phlox looked like last week:

Dandelions against black

. . . and what they look like today:

20150529_080011-Processed

20150529_080033-Processed

20150529_080030-Processed

Of course, some will rejoice.

Not so fast, buckaroos! I may not end up with enough flowers photos for mega posts, but I can still load 96 versions of the same photograph.

This entry was posted in Flowers, Stuff, Weather and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to There be hail to pay

Oh, what a shame! Your gardens are always so interesting, and so lovely. What strange weather you are having! Hawaii must be looking better and better!

It would . . . were it not for the strange going ons with the volcano on the Big island.

In the short run, we’re gonna look in Wyoming (among other places). That way, if the Yellowstone supervolcano blows, we’ll be gone quick, and not have to suffer the aftermath.

2. Looks like mother nature has taken a sudden dislike to you Emilio, I can’t imagine why though, you seem to be one of the fair dinkum respecters of the environment.

Nature is a bit like gods . . . for example:

1) Party “A” does something wrong.
      2) Party “B” gets punished to teach Party “A” a lesson.
      3) Party “A” and god are happy.
      4) Party “B” will have to use 96 versions of the same flower photo to fulfil his quota.

3. PiedType says:

Oh, the poor phlox. Will it set more blooms? It looks like something my neighbor has that blooms all summer. Sorry to see so much damage. It’s obvious you put in a lot of hours on your yard.

I haven’t found a good use for hail of any size. There were quite a lot when I lived in MN. New car dealers had to discount all new cars left out in the weather because of the ding marks all over the hood, top and trunk. Even the plastic bodied Saturns had a hood and top made of metal that dinged pretty badly.

Yeah . . . we missed the 8″ (yes, 8″) of hail a few weeks ago in Colorado Springs. This was relatively quick, lasting no more than 10min or so.

5. Aw, poor flowers and plants. :-( That is sad. :-( I’m sure the plants are like, “What the heck?! Damn that hail to hell!”
    I’ve only ever experienced pea-sized hail…but have friends who have told me about golf-ball sized hail…I don’t want to experience that.
    Bring on 96 versions of the same photo! Can’t scare me away so easily! ;-) :-P

After I posted this Melisa noticed the western-facing windows screens got themselves pretty beat up. Literal holes in the screen material; one more chore for me as I will have to replace them.

. . . hmm . . . it was meant to be a joke, but now I will have to find the appropriate photo for 96 variations.

6. I had to smile at you pair running around in the hail to save your flowers. What’s a few bruises to save the flowers? You certainly get a lot of weather. Amelia

Maybe we should have filmed it . . .

Actually, we were laughing at the level of noise and the intensity of the downpour, but less so when two of the flowered pots were damaged. And even less so after spending ten minutes trying to find all of the pieces of ice that go flung into the house. It was amazing not only for how many, but for how far they got into the house.

. . . then we had pound cake, strawberries, ice cream and whipped cream as a snack.