A spin into the past

Once in a while I feel the urge to let new subscribers (the ones who actually read my stuff as opposed to the ones who want to sell me their stuff) know of things from BTJ (before they joined).

Two years ago I let the world know I like spinning stuff. I did so with THIS post. Yes, I know most people will not click on the link, hence why I’m including this video as a hook for the original post.

Oh, heck, here’s one more:

Spinning stuff is verboten at our house . . . at least when Melisa is home.

As a second offering, I give you proof that marathon posts are not just something I recently started. Nope!

HERE’s a marathon post documenting our trip to and within Utah. A few photos should initiate the salivating action and the desire for more. By the way, there are videos. With music.

25SEP2011_1__DSC5925-Processed_DIGI

27SEP2011_1__DSC6389-Processed_DIGI

27SEP2011_1__DSC6402-Processed_DIGI

And, from roughly three years ago, a trip to Barr Lake State Park.

28APR2012_1__DSC1195-Processed_DIGI

28APR2012_1__DSC1300-Processed_DIGI

28APR2012_1__DSC1305-Processed_DIGI

Not a huge post, but long enough.

This entry was posted in Barr Lake State Park, Colorado, Photography, Photography Stuff, Utah and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A spin into the past

1. I’m not entirely sure the lure of TWO marathon posts is a good sales tactic …

You might be right . . . They did not receive any clicks. The again, neither did the spinning post. That stands to reason as my longtime readers had already seen all three of those posts. Still, a little disheartening. I would have thought at least one of my new readers would have been curious.

. . . really, I don’t know why I even try. Oh, yeah . . . it’s all for me.

• Shit happens. Or maybe people are just busy? Not everyone has the time for 96 photos. Don’t forget the loading time.

Nah, that’s not it.

I mean, I can see if it were 97 photos; that would be a tad much. None of those posts had anywhere near that number of photos.

I think the problem is that people can only take so much of a good thing. It could also be they find me annoying. Or, and this has some science behind it, people’s attention spans have been contracting to the point that if it takes more than a few seconds, their brains causes them to spasm uncontrollably.

It could also be that I am from the generation that had to put up with 56K modems. After sitting there for 20 minutes for something to download, I damn well was going to look at it in earnest.

Now photos load in literally seconds. But, like all things one is not invested in (be it time or money) there is a corresponding inverse correlation to the value placed on it.

With no time investment, there is no appreciation.

. . . but, really, I think it’s that annoyance bit. I’m just a tad too clever, too smartass, too talented, and too snarky for most people’s tastes.

..I don’t watch the spinning for too long, but if it amuses you, why not spin things?

Some lovely photographs in this one though..

3. Nancy Mehuys says:

Great captures !!!!!

I like spinning stuff, too. I carried around a coin that was perfect for spinning but I recently lost it. I think the washer ate it. Anyway, I’ve not had any luck replacing it but I haven’t stopped looking.

5. Never got to see them before ej so went had a butchers, I preferred the medium Corel lid it reminded me of a steam locomotive pulling a long train heading out from a railway station ( not a train station) and gradually picking up it’s rhythm and speed. The metal mixing bowl kind of reminded me of the sounds one hears in sci-fi movies.

Just for the fun of it I got 4 spinning at once and the noise was bedlam, and I’m nearly deaf

6. mvschulze says:

Nice pictures as usual, EJ. I’m overdue to do more of Utah, your images are what I’d love to capture, and I like the lake also. The waterfowl capture is… remarkable. Spinning! I’m usually interested the curious things, and this would be that. But I would also expect a slo-mo version (with sound or course,) to be a good fit. M:-)

If you go watch them on YouTube you have the option to watch them at either 1/2 speed or 1/4 speed. The 1/2 speed version has the sound. Unfortunately, the 1/4 speed version does not.
      Also, you can watch them in full 1080p. The original post has all of the videos I shot, as well as one long video compilation of all the spinning object.

7. I love spinning things! and I love shiny things! :-) (Yes, I’m easily amused!!! ;-) :-P )
    The blue of the water in your photos is mesmerizing! :-)
    Good thing you told us what BTJ means ( ! ) As my mind was going all different places! :o

8. marathon posts!! arghh- but great images here!

I took a quick peek at the referenced posts just to see photos that I would not look at again UNLESS you pointed me to their location because you have so many new ones! So, thanks for the review.