A quick recap

So, I was off-grid for the month of April but even before that, I did very little writing and very little photography, and most of what I done did wuz with the phone thingamajiggy.

. . . but not exclusively thingamajiggely photography (yes, I make up words when I need them; it’s faster than searching for the proper words and also more fun).

Parrot Tulips,

Parrot Tulips

Why, I even done did that whole shallow depth of the field many people like. Here are two different applications of shallow DOF . . .

Parrot Tulips,

Parrot Tulips

Parrot Tulips

Parrot Tulips

I wonder if I could blend these? I mean,  I did not plan to, but what would happen?

. . . this:

Blended Parrot Tulips

Blended Parrot Tulips

Eh . . . perhaps some other time.

This next is a shot of one of many Parrot Tulips I was looking forward to photographing . . .

Parrot Tulips

Parrot Tulips

Parrot Tulips

Parrot Tulips

. . . until some passing deer (or other herbivores) done ate them all up. They left the yellow ones and following the snow of the past few days, I doubt anything is now left standing.

. . . including the Daffodils.

Daffodils

Daffodils

For a few weeks there the front yard was looking very nice. Tulips, Daffodils, flowering phlox, other small flowers on some of the shrubs . . . now I won’t know what survived until the snow melts.

Daffodils

Daffodils

The SmugMug Gallery HERE will have a few more photos, but meanwhile here’s one more.

Daffodils

Daffodils

By the way, remember the small nest on the Silver Maple? No? I posted photos of it.

Anyway, here’s the remnants of it. I guess it was not sturdy enough to last through the winter.

Nest, Silver Maple,

Nest, Silver Maple,

Well, since no one cares about nests, here’s some shots I took of the lunar eclipse.

Moon Eclipse,

Moon Eclipse,

This was during the morning twilight, and the moon was low on the horizon. That means that conditions were not favorable for sharp photos.

That also means conditions were not favorable for standing out there at 5:00am in sub-zero temperatures.

Moon Eclipse,

Moon Eclipse,

According to the coverage map, I was supposed to see a total eclipse . . . instead, this was as dark as it got and that little bit remained bright.

Here’s a couple of shots after the supposed peak.

Moon Eclipse

Moon Eclipse

Moon Eclipse

Moon Eclipse

In late April I cleaned out the bird boxes . . . just in time, too, as prospective users came to check out their respective digs. I missed the Blue Birds but did catch the Tree Swallows exploring the place.

Tree Swallows

Per their modus operandi, the female scoped out the box while the male camped on its usual perch and waited for me and my camera.

Tree Swallows

Once I knew they were here, I mounted the 400mm lens . . .

Tree Swallows

Not a great action shot, but it's early in the season.

Not a great action shot, but it’s early in the season.

Of course, while I had the lens out I hunted other birds . . .

American Robin

American Robin

Red Finch

Red Finch

Red Finch

Red Finch

Red Finch - Aspen buds must taste good.

Red Finch – Aspen buds must taste good.

I often try and get birds right when they launch, but I usually miss the moment . . . not this time.

Female Red Finch launching

I got the other one, too . . . just not as good a shot.

Male Red Finch launching

Female Red Finch launchingThe day was nice, the rain and eventual snow a few days away. We went and sat on the back patio. Of course, I had my camera with me.

Tree Swallows

I hope they nest here again.

That’s it. That’s the update.

Nothing like the three May 2014 marathon posts (HERE, HERE, and HERE), but I’ve been busy.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

This entry was posted in American Robin, Birds, Finch, Flowers, Photography, Photography Stuff, Red Finch, Tree Swallows and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to A quick recap

Nice to see the tree swallows again. Sorry about the snow, which caused a cramp in the arrival of spring flowers and birds, but as usual, the birds are checking out your yard. Hope the tree swallows stay. They are lovely.

Last year they did the same thing; they checked things out, left for a while, and then a week later came back to nest. I expect by June they will be in there.

I hope the bluebirds finally use their nest box. In each of the last two years, they built their nest and then left it unused. I’m hoping third time’s the charm.

Of course, it could be the swallows object to the vicinity of the other nest and drive the Bluebirds away. Although, from what I’ve read it’s usually the other way around.

2. I love the parrot tulip, the blended result is great! The tree swallow is gorgeous too! :)

3. I like parrot (nice relevant birdy ref) tulips, and especially like the lovely yellow. The daffs are no e too.

The male tree swallow is stunning. Gorgeous pix of him.

Nice visual feast.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the phone/camera whatchamacallit (I make up words, too) had the same controls as even a cheap dSLR? Or even any controls besides the shutter button. Anyways, a nselection of shots. And the birds return!

Yeah . . . I assume at some time we’ll have more options (there are options for ISO, color balance, and exposure compensation, but by the time you go through the menu the shot opportunity is gone).

Really, we need a pocket camera with macro down to one inch, a 600mm equivalent optical zoom, voice activated shutter, viewfinder, ISO range from 50 to 3,200, bracketing, image stabilization, and RAW capability. I don’t think it needs be more than 8MP resolution if it has RAW. Oh, and if it can hover and be remotely controlled, that would also be nice.

I’d be willing to spend upwards of $200-$300 for something like that. Provided, of course, it comes in cobalt blue.

5. seekraz says:

Enjoyable post, Emilio……love the bird photos……you do them very well.

6. Eddy Winko says:

No doodle? Nice swallows, we have a returning pair this year, sadly no big camera lens.

Two reasons . . . I’m nearing the end of them, and I don’t bother when I’m pressed for time.

Also, I was maybe 6-7 feet away (1,829 – 2,134 mm). Don’t need a big lens for that.

• Eddy Winko says:

It was only as you left the reference text that I noticed, I’ll miss your doodles.
        That’s close, even in mm. I wonder, as an engineer did you work in the metric?

Dang! That was not supposed to be there. I will likely recycle them, but remember you can always go to the gallery that has them all.

In the Auto Industry, I started with inches but moved to metric. My eight years in Aerospace had me working mostly in inches unless we were analyzing planes from the EU.

7. Beautiful! All photos that bring smiles! Especially love the birds! Oh, and the moon shots made me howl! ;-) :-D
    Flowers and birds just scream, “Spring!” Then it snows and the snow screams, “Winter, again!” ;-)
    HA! :-P
    Thank you so much, Emilio, for sharing the beauty in your world with us! :-)
    PS…next time, please don’t use such technical words…like ” thingamajiggy”, etc. ;-)

8. You have posted some excellent shots of the tree swallows and the tulips.

I especially like your newish looking bird house. In the 70’s I had a bluebird nesting box project with some 50 houses or so. I had less than fair success attracting bluebirds for there had been a serious decline in the population since the 1950’s in the central Texas area. I returned to work in 1982 and I had to drop my project. No time nor the energy. And, there was no one willing to take up monitoring and cleaning the houses.

I am always glad to see that someone is looking out for the cavity nesters. Good for you.

9. My favorite picture here: blended parrot tulips.

Thank you.

I found it interesting but am not enamored with the ghosting. I could have tweaked it a bit more to reduce the effect, but it was just a quick blend.

A proper multilayer blending would have me using a tripod and ensuring the layers matched the size and view of the object.

I like the blended parrot pic especially for the ghosting. And that first shot of the Tree Swallow taking off is great. You got him just as he jumped off! Neat!