Sunday Stuff . . . on Tuesday

I’ve been absent from my blog and from other people’s blogs because I’m doing a small project.

wpid-20150228143748_1.jpg

However, today I am resting my neck, shoulders, arms, back, hips, legs, and most of all, my hands; they are pretty beat up.

wpid-20150228153114_1.jpg

Because this is the laundry room, I planned on doing the work all in sequence so as to not have too many days of wearing the same clothes.

wpid-20150302084320_1.jpg

This was a new skill or lack thereof, for me, so I took advice from the good folks at Home Depot and watched a lot of YouTube videos.

wpid-20150302154949_1.jpg

I knew whatever YouTube showed was going to differ from what I would experience, but it gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I opted to buy a wet saw for cutting the porcelain tiles. For them not familiar with them, THIS is the model I bought. I was going to buy the score-and-snap kind for half the price, but I needed lengthwise cuts, and the 24″ model was the same as the wet saw. Plus, I figured I could sell the wet saw for a tad more than half the price.

The other reason I opted for the wet saw is the heating vent . . .

wpid-20150302163817_1.jpg

I mentioned that the YouTube videos seldom represent what one might encounter . . . except when it came to the wet saw. They were dead on.

It cuts easily, it cuts clean, and it’s messy. I had a tray under it to catch the water, and everything was relatively clean until I had to cut that hole. You see, I had to remove the splash guard that normally keeps the blade from slinging water (water and fine particulate) on your face.

“Prepare to get wet!” they warned. So I did.

wpid-20150302164129_1.jpg

With water splashing on my face and two powerful floodlights helping me see the cut marks under the tile as I lowered it onto the blade I made the cuts; clean and quick and messy . . . but I stayed dry.

The thinset is curing now, and I’ll give it 48 hours before I grout the tiles. The installation has two minor flaws; two places where it fails the No. 2 pencil test. That’s a test I made up myself. In addition to the level, I had a No. 2 pencil (the kind without the eraser) and I ran the flat end from the edges and corners of each tile to the adjacent tiles. The idea was for the pencil not to catch at all.

Two dang tiles, in two different places, failed the test but not for lack of trying. I picked up, reapplied thinset, and relaid the tiles at least eight or nine times each. Those two tiles cost me at least an extra hour and a half.

On one tile, all four corners are OK but one of the middle sides catches a bit. On the other tile, three of the corners and the sides are flush, but one of the corners catches a bit.

Now that I am not dead tired, sore, and have some distance from the situation, I think it was probably flaws in the tiles. I had other tiles but did not think to try them. Oh well . . . hopefully, no one will have the patience to do a No. 2 pencil test on every edge and corner.

~ ~ o ~ ~

I’ve not done any photography or writing for a while . . . except one piece of flash fiction I wrote as a comment on a blog. I’ll probably unsubscribe from the blog as they do not interact much with people who comment (and they don’t interact with me at all) plus they are making a big production of “buckling down to write”.

Still, as my only writing since — well, I don’t remember since when, so it has to be a while, I figure I should present it here. The post I commented on had a six-minutes writing prompt; write about someone who does not like lotions.

This took three minutes and is presented here with one additional word for clarity.

~ ~ o ~ ~

I watched, waiting. The girl was picking flowers along the water. She was the right size to be of interest to me.

She slowly made her way closer to my position. I repositioned. Slowly, so that she would not notice me. I tensed as she came closer. Just a few more feet . . .

She reached for a dandelion seed ball, and that got her within reach. I pounced, wrapping myself around her as she struggled. I tightened my grip as she thrashed about, trying to get free. I kept tightening my grip.

. . . and then, she literally squirted out from my grip. Before I could recover and make another grab, she jumped up and ran off, screaming.

Oh, how I hate suntan lotion. All us boa constrictors do.

Another day of hunger, as I wait for a cloudy day, when people are less likely to slather lotion all over themselves.

~ ~ o ~ ~

Eh, for a few minutes worth of effort, I thought it was pretty good.

On a side note, I’m thinking of taking a free flash fiction writing course but I’m concerned. While students rave about it, I have bad memories from previous instances where I took lessons.

Notably, golfing lessons. They messed up my game something fierce and it took me many months to recover.

Writing flash fiction, like golf, is something that comes relatively easy. What if “learning to write flash fiction” messes me up? I mean, it could help, too, but it would sure be nice to know the upside so I could balance the risk.

Oh well, I’ll think about it.

~ ~ o ~ ~

Finally, I have this song as part of my YouTube playlist . . .

. . . and I recently came across this version . . .

Inspiring!

I’m thinking of doing a rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee with my guns.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Insert Doodle

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction, Musings Stuff, Personal, Writing Stuff, YouTube Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sunday Stuff . . . on Tuesday

I have given up redoing floors for Lent years ago and have stuck to it. I only do floors as forced labor in a prison camp. But there’s nothing so satisfying as a job well done. I have lots of grout experience so if you need a hand ill come over to help (if you buy my ticket).

I’ve been a grouch for years, so I’m pretty sure I know all there is to know about . . . oh . . . grout. Nevermind.

I would gladly pay for you to come grout this, but I really want the experience of messing up on my own and learning from it.

Those are very nice looking tiles and you look much cuter then they do (no offence to the tiles, they would be cuter than you if they had pretty flower designs on them). Always knew you do good work.

Thanks, and I don’t have pretty flowers designs on me . . . if you are referring to the hat, that’s a faux strap, mimicking the design of my Post Office original.

As for the tiles, we picked them as a neutral color that should go with many choices for paint (including the current paint).

3. Your new floor is beautiful! You did a GREAT job! And you stayed dry! Wow! :-) Love your outfit! You should wear that to Home Depot and make everyone jealous! ;-) :-P
    Your flash fiction made me laugh out loud! :-D Definitely a surprise ending! :o
    Love the vids! The first is one of my favs! The second vid was different, but a creative take on the first! :-) Can’t wait to see your Flight of the Bumblebee version! :-) (my friends who are target shooters would enjoy it!)

4. Eddy Winko says:

I’d have to flip a coin as to who wears a bin liner best, you or Debbie Harry!

5. mvschulze says:

I have been away also, but for more recreational reasons (escape to Fla for 10 days,) but your project eerily parallels a laundry room in need of similar resuscitation in our house. Thanks for the incentive, and tips! M:-)

Here’s a few more tips . . . if you can find gloves that let you handle the tiles and spacers, wear them. My hands got pretty beat up. When you put down the cement board, make sure you put thinset under it (unlike my first attempt – no one mentioned it until after it was down and taped). Also, when you put down the boards, two things you should not do; don’t arrange them so that you have four corners coming together as that is a weak point, and don’t have long seams aligned with walking paths.

I fixed the corner thing when I redid them to put the thinset down, but did not see the seam bit until after I had relaid them. I could just as easily laid them the other way so that the long seams were crossways. I don’t think it’s as big a deal in a small room like this especially since the previous build had both nailed and glued plywood over the existing subfloor, and the floor is very solid.

Finally, if you originally plan on a neat pattern, makes sure not to buy tiles with lines in them because when you orient them in different ways it can look odd (as these did), and then you end up lining them up. I opted to use a staggered pattern as a consolation for not being able to do my original design.

Lastly, buy more thinset than recommended. I probably did not use as much as I should have (although the notched trowel should, in theory, put down the right amount) and I still nearly ran out.

Let me see, what else. Oh, yeah. I spent a long time kneeling down, and even with knee pads my knees were pretty sore. If you don’t have any, buy some premium kneepads (I have rubber ones that work well in the yard, but not for kneeling on hard floors). Your knees will thank you for it.

Finally, there are a lot of videos and lots of advice on the Internet. Spend a few hours going through different ones, and take notes. I should have done that before hand and it would have saved me about eight hours worth of work.

Oh, a couple of more things about cement board . . . when they say it’s pre-scored to snap easily, just laugh and plan on scoring very deeply to have any hopes of a clean cut. Don’t breathe the dust; very dangerous. Also, the special screws work well if you have a corded drill. A battery-powered drill does not drive them flush or at least mine didn’t, and it’s no slouch when it comes to doing drilling stuff. The corded drill made the job faster and easier . . . the second time around. If you are putting down screws in places other than where already marked, I would pre-drill. Finally (for real this time) invest in a decent pair of snipper pliers (which I did not have, but would have been nice to have).

That’s it. Have fun.

• mvschulze says:

Thanks for the additional info. I just might goive that a try later this year. Oh, also, I forgot to say…I enjoyed the flash fiction Boa story. M :-)

I finished the grouting. I used Fusion Pro single component grout. Relatively easy to use, but if you go that way, make sure you watch the videos on it, and unless you are a pro work with smaller areas than what they do . . . I did smaller patches at the time, and it worked out pretty good.