Update – blowing in the wind

As I mentioned in the original post (HERE) I would be happy to make the short list, and I did. My Sky Claw photo made it to the final ten.

I waited until the voting was closed and the winner announced before making the announcement. Now that it’s all done and said, here’s the photo that held its own out there in the wild.

11215_29MAY2010_1-Processed-2-2_DIGI

I did not win the competition, but that was my primary goal, so I don’t mind. Plus, I already have most of the Topaz Plugins.

For them who are interest in the rest of the finalists, the results of the contest are HERE.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Black & White, Photography, Photography Stuff, Photoshop Blended Layers and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Update – blowing in the wind

This was a tough call in this contest. MGH’s entry was certainly a winner but so was yours, imo.

Thanks; I was pleased I made the final ten. I did not expect to win, so I am not disappointed.

Truthfully, I don’t know what makes any of those pictures better than the others. Keeping the theme in mind, I might have gone with the downed tree or the hair of the three women in the wind.

I don’t want to take away anything from the winner, but that would have ranked in the middle of the pack were I judging the photos . . . hence why I don’t judge photos.

I liked the wind in the hair of the women on a cruise to Greece. and apparently don’t understand what the judges were looking for, as the winner’s photograph didn’t speak to me at all. But congratulations on placing in the top ten….Your photograph did have something to say, and I liked it.

The problem I see with this particular contest is that a judge is involved only through the selection of the finalists . . . then it’s readers who vote, so one does not know if it’s the merit of the photo or if it’s a popularity contest (one of the reasons I did not anyone know I made the finals).

I can’t say for sure, but that’s why I mentioned I was mostly interested in placing.

Then again, I also don’t know what the judge saw in a couple of the photos that made the finals.

Before I start sounding like I am mad, upset, jealous, etc . . . the winner does great work, with many, many great photos in her portfolio; like you, this was not one that spoke to me, but then I might be subconsciously biased (again, why I don’t let people know; some of my readers might vote for me out of a perceived loyalty).

Regardless, my enjoyment came from the selection process. Placing in the finals was the icing on the cake.

3. Congrats on making the Top 10, Emilio! :-)
    All of the photos are SO good! Stiff competition! I like the one of the three girls hair blowing in the wind! :-) And the balloon one is beautiful! :-) But, let me be frank (not Frank ;-) ), I think your photo is better than the one that won!
    Oh, thank you for your recent comment. I completely understand how you feel!

Thank you diem3, but I want to stress that subjective opinions can vary significantly.

And you welcome . . . I’m already involved in similar efforts in other quarters and were I to do anything, it would be to increase my current efforts as opposed to adding a new one.

• Yes, I get that about subjective opinions. But, I still think your photo is better! :-)
        Yes, I totally understand! I am in the same “boat” and can only help so many people at a time. :-)

The winning photo left me with a blank stare . . . I did not see the theme in it at all. Liked yours and the girls hair best. Congrats for making the list!

5. Yours was the photo I voted for. I honestly don’t see the theme in the winning photo. But art is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder and obviously the judge had a much different view of the theme than I did.

6. Emily Scott says:

I really like yours. I’m not sure that it’s technically the best photo, but the subject of the auroras in the wind is also stunning.