Changes

0002_CoS_Ft-Col_23JAN05-Processed_DIGI

I’ve learned from experience that leading off with a photo of a cat draws more attention to any given post.

And this post needs the attention. You see, something changed . . .

I’m hoping the change will be transparent to my readers. I would say followers, but of the 713 followers, I doubt more than 10-15 ever bother reading this blog.

0066-Grand_Rapids_Meijer_Gardens-Processed_DIGI

So, what is the change?

The URL for this blog has changed. It used to be:

That URL still exists, but no one should see it in their address bar because it should map to this:

That’s right; the blog has it’s own domain name, and the internet is all aflutter.

Hummingbirds,

Today, the first day of my new dot-com name, my stats are inexplicably high . . . not my visitors, of course; those are tracking about normal (low twenties). But the number of views is at 160, or roughly 4X my normal.

Of course, it could just be bots crawling and sniffing out the new domain name; automated programs that check stuff out and file the information away in case anyone ever asks for it. In fact, I’m sure that’s what it is as there is no increase in comments, and 90% of the views are on the Home Page, and not individual posts.

0006_CoS_Ft-Col_23JAN05-Processed_DIGI

As I said, the followers/readers should not see any change. The blog will still look the same, and all the old posts should be mapped to the new domain name. If anyone discovers otherwise, please let me know.

Why the change, people want to know. What people? People . . . just regular Joes; look, I don’t know all their names, but they want to know why the change.

Well, I’ll tell you. For a few years now I’ve been paying for no ads, special formatting, extra space, and the ability to embed videos (which I do a lot less than I should). The total cost per year was $140. Well, WordPress has the premium package now priced at $99/year.

It includes all the upgrades I had, plus a domain name. I was not really interested in a new domain name, but since they offered it, I took a look at what was available. I could have had “disperser”, but only as disperser.me or disperser.co.

Unfortunately, it’s a bug-eat-bug world out there.

2014 Flowers,

The majority of the people still think in terms of dot-com, but disperser.com was not available.

I hesitated going with http://dispersertracks.com . . . I have never liked the idea of joining two words; someone reading that has to take a moment to parse the letters into recognizable words, and that can lead to confusion . . . they might read any of the following:

disperse r-tracks
disperset racks
disp esertr acks

However, in the end, everything I read recommended choosing a domain name in the dot-com universe.

5565_GotG-13FEB07-Processed_DIGI

I feared that switching over would be a monumental task fraught with perils . . .

5567_GotG-13FEB07-Processed_DIGI

. . . but it turned out it was easy . . . I hit upgrade, chose the new name, and a few hours later the old domain name was mapped to the new one. You can still enter the old one, but the new one will come up.

I’m so pleased I’m saving a few bucks that I thought I would include a selfie!

10860_MISC_091908_2-Processed_DIGI

AND . . . not only that, but I am going to share my Epic Music Playlist!!!!!

Multiple hours of nothing but epic music! Crank that volume up, I say!

That’s right; the music behind everything creative I do. For instance, when I wrote the elven story sequel, I had my headphones on and the music from this playlist was being funneled with considerable volume into my ear-canal.

There! . . . now my readers can also write stories only 3-4 people will read.

By the way, the second video . . . if you don’t have the patience to listen to all of it, move the slider to the 1:28 mark; I really love that driving music. Heck, if I actually drove listening to that, I would probably break all sorts of laws, not to mention run people off the road (which, oddly enough, also breaks a few laws).

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Black & White, Musings Stuff, Personal, Photo-effects, Photography, Photography Stuff, Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Changes

1. Eddy Winko says:

All working as it should, except the worldpress reader doesn’t show the kitten, but the video clip still.

All seems fine, even the cat with one yellow eye and one green one. And a hummingbird. And what beautiful music….am listening to it all the way through it. I may go back and read the elven story with this for a sound track.

3. seekraz says:

Congrats, Emilio…glad it went so smoothly.

Loookz like everything works fine but codLeL borten maz frederbuter. minorr in converttical but stiLL Ledstetre. goog Looks head barticaL betcha!

I would tend to agree with you, but I think the pelluvian furgot is still going to predispose us toward gritentious honthers, sometimes to the point of brigetin strogins. I think we should krathonde the wormther and jodrent as best we can.

Great photos in honor of a great change. Best wishes for more good things to come out of this (never mind Sheldon!). And thanks a whole bunch for that epic music!

It really does not change much . . . still, I am getting more views. However, like I said, probably automated routines doing searches. The important thing is I’m saving $40.

There are a lot of Epic Music collections out there; worth exploring. I find a couple of new tracks I like every other week or so.

6. mvschulze says:

Yeah, I like the music, 1:28 mark and all. Now I need to figure how to download it into my i-pod. Quite a few years ago, I was tooling along ta remote part of the NY State Thruway, at night, (my job as tech guy for newspapers production had me driving a lot places at all hours of the day and night.) But this time I was blasting the soundtrack from “2001, A Space Odyssey.” Totally immesed, I didn’t notice the cops flashing becons behind. I was really way out there, but the combination added a new dimension of driving spaceships on the NY State Thruway! Did I get a ticket… You bet!

There used to be ad-ons that would let you download the MP3 version of the videos, but I do like to support artists I like. Most songs are around $1 each, and of you like albums of the artists, a lot less.

I know both iTunes and Amazon carry them as I have purchased them from both.

Also, some of the free music services like Spotify or Pandora (iPod Touch, iPhone or Android phones) have categories and genres . . . they might have an Epic Music category.

7. Congrats!
    BTW: Cat photos do help! Especially ones with striking eyes! Sheldon is da’ man…but needs to learn that some changes are good! Ew on bug eat bug! Love the music!
    PS…I are sick with a nasty sinus infection. Ick. Ack. Ugh.

8. I’m tempted to side with Sheldon on ‘change.’ I don’t like the new WP changes that are less user friendly. I am intrigued by the changes you’ve made and am interested in the differences you see now that you’ve switched to dotcom.

The music is wonderful. I’m listening to it while writing this. ;-)

9. disperser says:

Actually, the reason I changed is because nothing should have changed other than the URL.

That was the subject of a number of back and forths with support.

I’m speaking, of course, at my end; functionally and visually, the blog looks the same to me. People often play around with their themes, but I like consistency.

That said, I don’t know how it is for my readers, hence why I ask to let me know.

Glad you like the music. Too much of it can occasionally make it blend into one big mess, but some of the individual tracks are really nice and . . . the word is ‘evocative’.