Almost Underway Redux

The original version of this post, on December 4th, included only photos from the phone, and small ones, at that.

I won’t repeat all the photos, but I will do a mix of both phone photos and Nikon D7000 photos. I should note the lens I used most often was the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6. The resolution of the D7000 makes the use of this lens iffy. In contrast to the 70-200mm f/2.8, the 18-200mm will not have the same sharpness. Still, it’s more versatile than carrying multiple lenses with me.

First up, a (Nikon) panorama of the view from our balcony at the front of the ship. Clicking on the photo will give you a version twice as large.

Cruise 2014, Ship,

Clicking HERE will give you a version 20 times as large (9MB – depending on your internet connection, it might load a tad slow). However, you can then click on the photo to zoom in and out of various parts of the photo, or use the sliders to navigate the image.

Not counting the Royal Princess, the cruise ship we were on, there are four other cruise ships in that photo.

Here’s two.

Also a Nikon shot

Also a Nikon shot

This next panorama is composed of 14 shots taken from the side of the ship. Here’s the small version (you can click for the twice as large size).

Cruise 2014, Ship,

Clicking HERE will give you a version 20 times as large (15MB – depending on your internet connection, it might load a tad slow). Again, you can then click on the photo to zoom in and out of various parts of the photo, or use the sliders to navigate the image.

Here’s a small portion of that photo for them who don’t have the patience to load the large one.

Cruise 2014, Ship,

You can also go to the SmugMug gallery HERE to see all the photos at full scale.

Here’s a few more Nikon shots . . .

Cruise 2014, Ship, Cruise 2014, Ship, Cruise 2014, Ship,

In that last shot, we were underway, heading out into the Atlantic.

These next shots are all from the Samsung Note II, and processed in Lightroom and onOne’s Perfect Effects.

The Piazza (home of the International Cafe')

The Piazza (home of the International Cafe’)

Remember, you can click on these for a slightly larger version (originals in SmugMug).

The glass walkway, showing the deck 9 decks below (one of the sitting areas)

The glass walkway, showing the deck 9 decks below (one of the sitting areas)

20141204_133801_DIGI

The ship has an adult-only area. There were very few kids on this cruise (we saw maybe ten out of the 2,900 or so passengers in the fide-days portion of our cruise).

20141204_134655_DIGI

Here’s a couple of more shots of the decorations in The Piazza.

20141206_082147_HDR_DIGI

20141206_082222_HDR_DIGI

I did not take that many shots of the inside of the ship. Something I will remedy if we go on future cruises.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Caribbean 2014, Cruising, Machines, Travel Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Almost Underway Redux

Pretty elegant way of traveling, from the looks of it!

I recently read an article comparing the Titanic with modern cruise ships. The Titanic is a toy by comparison. I’ve never been on a cruise ship but I can see that they really cater to the passengers. I think they may be counting on your return booking. One couple I know have been on 6 cruises and say they will take one each year as long as they are able. Thinkin’ about an Alaska cruise myself.

We liked our Alaska cruise, and will likely do another. We would opt for flying to Anchorage, driving around a bit, then going to the Southbound Voyage of the Glacier (Princess Cruises) cruise.

That gives us the option to do some land exploration.

We did a land cruise in 2002 (or 2003) renting a Motor home. Still rank that as one of our best vacations.

I will repeat that cruising is not a particularly great way to see the destinations (not enough time), but it is the most comfortable traveling we’ve done. I’m leaning more toward cruising being primarily the ship experience as opposed to the destinations.

As for multiple cruises, we’ve met people who’ve lost count of how many. In the 20s and 30s if not more. After a certain point they count by days not cruising, and some had over 365 days.

3. What an ugly characterless ship she is, they don’t have the beauty and grace of the old oceaan liners. They remind me of bulk car carrying ships with balconies dollied up inside like some glorified brothel, not that I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing inside one of those. Still it’s all about money making these days back then it was about pampering to money.

Like with people, it’s not looks, but what’s inside that counts . . . in this case, lots of food.

But that comment . . . making money as opposed to catering to money . . . interesting perspective. The thing is, there is still pampering to money; just not on these ships.

These ships give opportunities to people who would otherwise not be able to afford sailing the oceans in a fair amount of comfort, as much food as one wants, entertainment, and the opportunity to see places that would otherwise be too expensive to visit.

Per my perspective, I find these ships interesting. Plus, here one can get lost in the crowd. Were we sailing in an old ocean liner, I would have to deal with a large amount of snobbery . . . sure, it might be fun to make fun of the ‘moneyed’ people, but that gets tiring.

Plus, having met a fair amount of ‘moneyed’ people, I know them to be jerks. Even if I had a lot of money, I would still take care to steer clear of them. Fortunately, it appears the feeling is mutual, so I don’t have to worry about making much effort. That’s the beauty with snobs, after all . . . they self-separate from the common folks.

4. I love how the ship was decorated for Christmas! I get excited just looking at the photos…I imagine in person it was even more beautiful! :-)
    Happy Holidays to you and your family! :-)
    Thanks for letting me enjoy your stunning photos and great writing this past year!
    HUGS!!!
    Carolyn :-)

The current cruises (through Christmas day) are the most popular (and are at a premium).

The ships really do make the effort to keep everything clean and shiny. It’s difficult to find fault with the presentation of the diggs. Everything looks very nice.

I really could not find fault with anything . . . they do really make you feel like you are special to them, to the point of it sometimes being almost uncomfortable. We are not used to being waited on nearly 24-7.

Those panorama shots are great! I finally got to see those mansions and yachts close-up. And now I have a brain full of lovely images to take to work with me! Lovely, just lovely.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )