St. Lucia – 13Dec2014

More reasons not to go on excursions . . . not only are there other people one has to deal with, but many of the excursions involve things like helicopters (flying bricks), boats (capsizable death traps), and snorkeling  (I have no desire to mimic shark bait).

There are St. Lucia sightseeing tours that sound interesting, but they were all sold out, leaving us with the choice of flying bricks, capsizable death traps, or ending up as shark bait.

We ended up deciding to go for a walk  along the seawall next to where the ship docked.

Before we get into that, this is us getting into the St. Lucia harbor.

image

That last photo is of the ship slowly maneuvaring closer (sideways) to the dock. There were two other ships docked there besides us.

image

The buildings below are all shops, many upscale, to boot. From what I have read, all of the shops inside the cruise line secure areas are owned by the Cruise Lines, and they sell stuff ranging from small souveniers to morgaging-your-house-I-got-to-have-that-diamond-studded-Rolex.

After eating a small breakfast, we disembarked, filled with the intention to walk a number of miles. The fun part was having, roughly every ten yards or so, someone asking if we needed a taxi, and assuring us their rates were the lowest of any of the other two hundred taxi drivers assuring us their rates were lower.

It was a veritable Taxi Gauntlet, and we survived it. Barely.

The intention was to walk a good four miles, and see the sights, but we barely managed one mile. The shots I got, however, were nice. And yes, there be many more in the regular camera.

image

However, it was clear we would be accosted every few feet by people eager to offer us the best deals we ever had . . . As far as excursions go.

Plus, you know, it was hot. We opted to return to the boat, shower, eat something, and do laundry. Still, I got some interesting photos on the way back.

image

We showered, ate, did the laundry, snacked some more, and then it was time for our evening meal reservations.

We actually wanted to watch the ship leave port, but we had dinner reservations for 6:00, and so we opted for the meal instead of watching the departure.

But not before taking a few photos as the sun went down. But, before that, a few more photos while the boat was not moving (much).

image

That’s a panorama shot from our room’s balcony. Or froom the back of the boat . . . I don’t remember.

image

The full size photos will be better, but those will wait until I get home.

And yes, those panoramas were shot from the back of the boat.

image

By that last shot, we were moving, but reservations awaited.

This next shot is not very good . . . But Manuel, from Portugal, was. He was our waiter during the sit-down meal we had. Once he found out I was Italian, we were like best buddies.

image

He brought out a cheese appetizer to go with our bread (we had not ordered it, but it was very good). I then had a delicious Orange Roughy while Melisa had a broiled salmon. Again, very good.

For desert, manuel insisted on surprising us, so adide what we ordered, he also brought out additional ice cream and a slice of Black Forest Cake. It would have been impolite to refuse.

image

We then had a coffee at the International Cafe’ before heading back up to see what we missed at the buffett. We had missed out on German night.

Well, we almost missed out. We did sampe a few things, as well as grabbing some drinks and additional cookies for the room.

Before heading back to the room, I grabbed a few pretzels and checked out the ice sculpture . . . It was part of a contest where passengers were asked to guess the weight and win prizes.

We did not enter.

And so, another day concluded. Good Night All.

Posted from WordPress for Android

This entry was posted in Caribbean Islands, Scenery, St. Lucia, Travel, Travel Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to St. Lucia – 13Dec2014

Black Forest Cake or German night? You made the right choice.

I do have to say that those 3 “monster” ships do fill that port to capacity. Best time to photograph it would be when they’re gone. Anyway, this minor fact did not detract from the beauty of the landscape and I especially like that shot of the painted boats on dry land (minus the monsters). Too bad the locals don’t realize that if you needed a taxi, you’d hail one, and therefore leave you in peace to enjoy the walk. But all this was forgotten as you indulged your senses on the ship’s fine restaurants. German night sounds great to me!

They are hungry for money . . . this is the prime time for tourists, with summer not as busy. I understand they want to make money, but honest, having just watched me say no to two other people should give a big hint that I am not really interested.

Then again, it points to the measure of desperation when it comes to trying to earn a buck or two.

3. Manuel looks like a fun guy! :-) San Lucia looks so beautiful! :-) Sorry you couldn’t just walk in peace. The ice sculpture is cool! (pun intended! ;-) )
    I love the photo of the fish mural and the next one of the boat bottom! :-)

I’m hoping the Nikon photos will show more and higher quality.

Like I said, I understand the locals needing to make money, but it gets old after a while, not to mention you start to feel guilty about not helping the people out.

. . . also, maybe, if I would have been carrying I would have been more willing to take a chance with some of the people. Honest, not to sound elitist and all, but many did not inspire confidence when it came to trusting ourselves to their care.

4. Emily Scott says:

The accosting does sound very annoying. I found a similar thing in Mexico and, to a lesser extent, Paris. I do feel sorry for the local people when that is how they have to make their money. For getting some peace, Iceland is a great place to go. You’ll barely see anyone.

Yeah, like I mentioned above, it’s an indication of the state of economy. I did not see much industry aside the tourists coming in.

My preference is always to rent a car, but the length of stay on the islands make that an iffy proposition. As for Iceland . . . someday.