Sunday With My Thoughts – War

Continuing my new thing I’m sure will be welcomed by few-to-none; dispersing my opinions.

This will be the last for the day as I have chores need attending. Here we go . . .

Current events: War
So tired of it. And tired of hearing ‘boots on the ground’.

Look, I get it . . . someone is a threat to us. Fine. Take all the money we are spending on the military, and apply it to screening every frigging thing that comes into this country.

While at it, fund a global police and intelligence network geared not on spying on our own citizens, but rather targeting drug cartels and terrorist organizations, and then doing what’s necessary to keep drug lords and terrorists in check and from doing as much harm. For instance, use that information to surgically take them out, starting with their leaders.

With our current approach we’ll likely have many casualties, both here and there. I’d like to see an approach geared to limit those casualties both here and there AND be effective.

To my simplified thinking, taking out terrorist leaders as they spring up has the double effect of disrupting their organization and to eventually lower, by attrition, the average IQ of said leaders, thus making it easier to fight them.

By the way, that should be the approach with our growing gangs problem. Not that anyone is actually willing to tackle that issue, either.

Here’s the thing; the people here in the US – mostly composed of cable pundits – asking for boots on the ground are not the people whose kids will be wearing those boots.

Let’s remember that we lost twice as many people in our 13 years  (and going) military action in the Middle East than we did on the 9-11 attacks.

And that’s not counting the wounded, lives ruined, and tremendous expense. Read the depressing numbers HERE. Pay attention to the broader numbers as well, those in the countries we ‘liberated’.

And for what? Does anyone really think we will make a difference over there? That anyone has ever made a difference in the Middle East (discounting making things worse)? Nothing will change with our involvement . . .

. . . not unless we commit to slaughtering multiple generations and whole populations.

Yes, ISIS is a threat, but I’m tired of the world looking to us to do what they don’t want to do themselves, and then point, scold them ‘nasty Americans’, and blame us for doing it.

Where is it written we should act the part of World’s Policeman, and why are we so willing to take on that role?

OK, there is an argument to be made that some of our previous involvement in the Middle East sowed the seeds for many of the current ills in the region, but we were by no means the only ones, nor were we the first to mess with the various political, religious, and border issues in that area. Besides, unintended consequences is yet another argument and all the more reason to not add to the problems.

How about this; rather than repeating the same mistakes, rather than continually aggravating existing situations, how about we take a different tack, and tackle the issue with an eye to a longer term solutions? Solution that include the participation of every other nation on Earth?

What are you suggesting,” you ask?

I don’t know. But that is not an excuse to rush in there bombs-a-dropping and guns-a-blazing. It seems to me the security of many, many other nations is just as impacted by ISIS as is our own (probably more).

And no, I’m not being naïve about the various interests – here and abroad – that benefit from the U.S. getting involved in yet another giant clusterfoxtrot.

Speaking of financial interests, we are in a globalized economy, with money flowing through electronic channels . . . how about we really come down on them who financially support these ISIS assh . . . er . . . jerks? Isn’t that what we are supposedly good at?

Follow the money, and make it untenable for anyone to support ISIS and for anyone to profit from their existence. That includes both individuals and countries.

But that goes back to the whole ‘holding politicians accountable’ thing I mentioned above, especially when they are obviously catering to special interests with deep pockets.

Until I see all western nations provide real and substantial support in any action against ISIS, I will be sad to see the administration cave to people demanding ‘we do something‘, and especially ‘getting boots on the ground‘.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Creative, Musings Stuff, Opinion, Personal, Politics, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sunday With My Thoughts – War

1. renxkyoko says:

Agreeing wholeheartedly, almost 100%

Thanks. It’s a frustrating problem, and I don’t envy policy-makers, but I also have little confidence in their ability to keep this from getting worse.

2. fodrambler says:

Here is my take. Okay it is from a Brit but I don’t hold myself responsible for my government’s actions any more than I hold you responsible for yours. what really bugs me is the untold amount of money that can be found to fund these wars. It makes me wonder how much money there really is in the world. Trillions of dollars can fund a war but couldn’t they also fund peace. People only fight because their lives are sh*t, if they were contented they wouldn’t want to spoil it. This comes down to a problem of economics. Half of the world is starving but we know how to create food. In Europe and probably in the US we have mountains of food going to waste and all of the technical knowledge and apparently money needed to create more. You can’t give things away, that would destroy the economy. It would undermine the value of the things that we want to sell, so children die all across the world. For the same reasons we can’t use this money to develop and thereby create markets for ourselves in the rest of the world. If everybody had enough there would be no such thing as wealth and no such thing as power. Poor people are vital to our economic success. When there is too much money in the system we have to get rid of it in a way that benefits no-one. Once we built cathedrals. We are going to blow the money up. It is such a sad waste. I would have built them mosques and shopping malls and hospitals and schools, what’s a trillion dollars here or there and it opens up new markets of people with money to spend. We need our poor starving dissatisfied hordes and we need to blow the money up to get rid of it, there is just too much. It is sad.

Agree somewhat, but it’s not all economics. The 9-11 hijackers were educated and from families that were well-off.

. . . sometimes ideology plays a part, and sometimes it’s all about ideology, hence why it’s so difficult to come to terms.

You mentioned the participation of other nations but where is the United Nations when you need them? I don’t want to play policeman or big brother to every country. We should realize that our own resources are limited and that war is not a constructive tool for building. Nor is it financially viable as it was once thought of.

I stopped seeing the UN as a viable entity some years ago. Politics play too much of a role, and some of the current members, say, for example, Russia, may not be too sympathetic to the UN intervening in situations where, lets say as another example, one country illegally attempts to take over another country.

Besides, if history offers any lessons, we still end up taking on the brunt of the cost and logistic support, only now with commanders that might have different agendas than we do.

I would like to see the arab countries set up their own NATO-like organization, and pledge some of their vast wealth less toward shitting on gold-lined toilets, and more to having viable police/army/security forces capable of handling their own affairs.

4. Different views from different perspectives. Most people I know don’t want to see the US invade yet another country (biggest invader of other counties since WW2 and all that). It would be very nice if the US did not do the gung-ho thing, and twist everyone else’s arm because it is rich and powerful.

Just let them all get on with it. Did the rest of the world seriously ask America to invade every country it has done on the last 60 years?

Did the rest of the world invent WMD?

Your point about the money nails it. As ever, this is what it is always about. War has always meant money. Armaments, reconstruction, and money via political groupings.

But please don’t think the rest of the western world wishes you to be a global police officer. Or at least I don’t. And I wish other governments were strong enough to refuse to co-operate.

Hmm . . . history speaks a different tune than the one you are humming.

Believe me, the majority of US citizens are tired of war, and don’t really want anything to do with this.

That said, the EU is not taking this lying down either, and they face a more imminent threat than we do.

I’ve already made my suggestion above; strengthen our borders, increase intelligence and police efforts, and let the rest of the world take care of themselves.

I also sense the same tone in your comment as I get from many people around the world . . . the thing is, the US is not initiating this, and Obama seems reluctant to get involved. One of the few things he’s done during his term that I agree with. He should resist the pressure from the hawks, and minimize our involvement.

During the last forty years the US has been blamed for not doing enough, for doing too much, for not acting fast enough, for acting too fast . . .

Honest, I would love to see the US back off from everything but economic interactions (while putting more emphasis on protecting our borders and the States). Imagine the money we would have (us, in the US), if we did not need as big a military complex as we have.

After all, I’m sure the EU can handle the situation as well as they have handled the Ukraine situation.

5. mvschulze says:

Old observation, I’m sure, but I strongly support the opinion that Saddam Hussein, if left to his little evilness, would have maintained a sense of stability far greater than the terrible chaos festering today, and without the untenable loss of American lives, and of billions of wasted dollars. Your link to “Costs of War”, above is a real eye opener. M

I commented at the time that George W.’s probable impetus for going into Iraq was because Saddam threatened his daddy, George H.

Seriously, listening to interviews of the various players, I think there was a real, if misguided, belief that once freed the people would immediately organize into a free democracy . . . it points to an astonishing lack of understanding of the dynamics of the region as well ignorance of the history of the region.

• mvschulze says:

First sentence: :-).
        Second sentence: :-( because it’s certainly true, but only ONE of a slew of sad assessments, error-prone assumptions, mis-calculations, and motivationally questionable advice. M