The Rind Series – Part One

5:30 a.m. – July 9, 2008 . . . as usual, I got to the office an hour before everyone else. I settled in my chair, resting bones weary from what now I consider youthful 55 years of life.

I poured a coffee from my thermos as I waited for Windows XP to wake up. Yes, I used to bring my own coffee from home . . . office coffee is the pits; not bad if I make it, but no one likes how I make it, and I don’t like how everyone else makes it, so thermos from home it is.

As the machine wheezed, coughed, whirled, and blinked through a number of useless screens (to fast to read, and too slow for practical purpose), I felt the familiar feeling at the pit of my stomach . . . “Uh-oh!” I thought to myself, “not again!

My worst fears quickly coalesced into certainty; I was hungry. Well, what passes for hunger in people who have never been truly hungry . . . it’s actually a mild panic attack triggered by not having eaten in 30 minutes or so.

I looked around, anxious to squelch the feeling before it grew and forced me to crack open my snack drawer. I mean, I had no qualms getting into my snack drawer, but once I started in on the Maria Cookies, move on to the pecans and almonds, and tapped the Pavesini, I would hit a stride that would have me snacking all day long.

I needed a culinary diversion; something that would tell my brain “Yo, bro; looks like we ate . . . you can relax now!”

Tearing my eyes away from the drawer, I looked at the meager snacks I had brought from home . . . an apple, a couple of bananas, two clementines, some bread sticks, pinza with Nutella, a couple of plain pinza bread slices cut up into cubes, a ziplock bag with a couple of fig Newtons, and a few pieces of dried pineapple.

I hated starting into my morning snacks for it would mean I would run out before lunch, and I might go a few minutes having to fight my food craving, but on the other hand, I was doing that now. I reached for the clementines.

As I often do, I peeled them in such a way as to leave one complete piece of rind. I was about to throw the rind away when I saw a blue folder . . .

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

It looked interesting, and I snapped a few photos. While it does look interesting, what I really had in mind was trying my hand at various filters.

What do you know?! . . .  nearly six years later, I finally do just that. This is a treatment that aims to duplicate the old tintype photographic plates

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

I moved the rind a bit and took another photo . . .

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

. . . and six years later I tried another preset.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

I don’t recall the name of that preset, and I did not bother writing them down; some of the treatments are from onOne’s Perfect B&W, some from Topaz B&W 2, and some from DxO’s Film pack . . . frankly, I did not pay much attention, and just ran with whatever looked good to me at the moment.

. . . I really should do a proper comparison of the products . . .

Wait just a second! We only see two presets!

Did you notice the title?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Swirl

Swirl

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

Should you still nominate me, I will suspect you pulled my name at random, and that you are not, in fact, a reader of my blog.  If you wish to know more, please read below.

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

This entry was posted in No Category and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Rind Series – Part One

The first shot made me hungry for Clementines. The last shot – not so much. I do admire your peeling ability, though.

2. Emily Heath says:

I’m laughing at what you consider meagre snacks, that would last me about a week. Maybe you were being sarcastic. The pinza looks great, never seen that before.

My eating yesterday . . .

scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and two pieces of toast.
      7-8 maria cookies
      two slices of key lime pie
      an order of fries
      two pieces of fried white fish (with bread)
      two hush puppies
      5-6 breadsticks
      7 clementines
      one banana
      three 1″ thick slices (cubed) of hawaiian bread
      one serving of pasta
      half of a macaroon (with a couple of scoops of ice cream)
      a cup of honey oats with almonds cereal (dry, as a late snack)
      one apple (sometimes I have it with sugar, but not yesterday)

Also made two 8-cups pots of coffee (drank with milk), 2 cups of chamomile tea, two cups of Red Rose decaf tea (it was 11pm and 12am). I might have had a bit of water.

Could be I’m forgetting a few things. If I am writing or playing with photographs, I have a tendency to not pay attention.

The fried fish is not something I have often. We ordered out, and I wanted to try it. We often have salads (not yesterday), and there’s usually some deli meat and boiled eggs in it. Sometimes feta or shredded mozzarella cheese.

I love Pinza, but I eat it too fast, so Melisa does not make it often. Sometimes I eat less Maria cookies, and have Honey Grahams instead. If we went to the store and bought a fresh French baguette, we’ll have that with butter, or make mini-salami and cheese sandwiches (I also have it with Nutella). I usually have some artisan bread in the house, and that is good toasted with honey on top.

I’ve been told I’m constantly eating, but Igh dwan’t thaunk tha . . . as I was saying, I don’t think that’s the case. Sometimes I go an hour without eating anything.

• Emily Heath says:

Wowzers, you know how to eat well. A fascinating variety there. Yesterday I had a bowl of cornflakes and

Let me guess . . . You fainted for lack of energy, and now I have to wait for you to wake up.

• Emily Heath says:

… Cornflakes and oats, then a fry up of tomato, mushrooms, eggs, fried onions and hash browns, washed down with a mug of tea. Leftover Chinese tofu and ginger takeaway for dinner. Work is where I snack most – and I’ve just remembered that I’ve forgotten to take a rock cake I have at home to work with me. Damn.

Sounds . . . interesting.

The cake sounds good, but I don’t know if I have the teeth for it.

It’s it like stone soup?

3. Eddy Winko says:

Liking the comments more than the post :)

The variety and humor of the comments in your posts are the cherry on top!

5. Pingback: Project 313 – Post No. 235 | Disperser Tracks

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )