Agfa Ansco Viking Camera

What do we have here?

Agfa Ansco Viking

It looks like a slightly damaged case to what appears a fairly substantial camera . . .

Agfa Ansco Viking

It is an Agfa-Ansco Viking camera, and depending what one might read, it’s either from the early 1940s, or from 1946. There is no Wiki for this specific camera, although they do have an entry under Agfa Viking-6.3, but the top of that camera does not look like this one.

Agfa Ansco Viking

So . . . another camera severely lacking in information. The above links contain about as much information as I could find, and I did not feel bad after chancing on this LINK; the guy repaired cameras (retired now), and he was not sure of the name either.

There is a section at SmugMug that will have individual galleries for each camera I showcase. The gallery for this camera is HERE .

What I like about these kinds of cameras is the fact there are mechanisms involved with its operation  . . . first you open it by pressing the button next to the film winding knob.

Agfa Ansco Viking

The camera is in good shape, but I should have dusted it a bit . . . but that only became obvious just now, as I processed the photos.

Agfa Ansco Viking

Do you see the red button? That presses a lever that works the paddle visible below and to the left of the lens. The paddle pushes the shutter which slides horizontally under the lens, the camera snaps the picture, and then a spring resets everything to the ready position once the finger lifts from the button.

It sticks a bit, but it works. What does not seem to work very well is the shutter; it’s open, and while it does move when you press the button. It partially closes, but remains open . . . not good for the film. I will be trying to repair this, and I’ll report on how bad I do once I do it.

There is another button just below the pop-up viewfinder, and that releases the locking tab for the articulated arms so one can close the the camera.

Take note of the pop up landscape viewfinder atop the camera . . .

Agfa Ansco Viking

. . . and now, take note of the viewfinder on top of the lens . . . you look down on it for for portrait photography, but it rotates (clockwise as shown above) so that once you rotate the camera 90deg, you can use it to sight your portrait photos. Here is the thing . . . the camera has to be rotated with the shutter button on the bottom (counterclockwise from the position shown) to look through that viewfinder. Frankly, I don’t know why you would do that as opposed to just using the camera right-side-up, and availing yourself of the pop-up finder.

Agfa Ansco Viking

This camera came with an old roll of film still in it . . . At least I presume it’s film.  I did not want to pull it out to see.

Lastly, the small glass viewfinder is not bad . . . not great, but not bad.

Agfa Ansco Viking viewfinder

Agfa Ansco Viking viewfinder

Keeping in mind this camera currently is strictly a decorative piece (and the subject of this blog post), the $25 I paid for it might seem a bit steep to some (as it does me), especially since the guy in the article only paid $8 for his. Then again, for $8 I can get a really beat-up version of this camera on eBay . . . plus pay $12 for shipping.  I’m happy with the purchase, and if I ever tire of it, it’ll go up on eBay for about what I paid.

Side note . . . the fabric I used for the backdrop has been hanging for nearly 6 months, and while I was hoping they would lessen, the wrinkles are still not out. I was too lazy to do anything about it, so you get to enjoy the creases. I’ll try and do better for the next shoot.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Overcrowded

Overcrowded

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Please, if you are considering bestowing me some recognition beyond commenting below, refrain from doing so.  I will decline nominations whereby one blogger bestows an award onto another blogger, or group of bloggers.   I appreciate the intent behind it, but I would much prefer a comment thanking me for turning you away from a life of crime, religion, or making you a better person in some other way.  That would actually mean something to me.

Should you still nominate me, I will strongly suspect you pulled my name at random, and that you are not, in fact, a reader of my blog.  If you wish to know more, please read below.

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

Note: to those who may click on “like”, or rate the post; if you do not personally hear from me, know that I am sincerely appreciative, and I thank you for noticing what I do.

This entry was posted in Photography Stuff, Vintage and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Agfa Ansco Viking Camera

1. colonialist says:

I would enjoy playing with that mechanism, All fold-outy things entertain me.

The shot of the viewfinder makes me think there are some creative possibilities there. Sort of “a view from the past” sort of thing. Just thinkin’.

3. Rachael says:

I have occasionally been tempted to buy vintage cameras but there is no room on my shelves. I am intrigued by the included roll of film. What if it has been partially exposed already? That would be cool, finding some ancient images.

Yeah, the display thing is tricky. Right now most are stored away, but in our next house my office will be more geared toward our hobbies.

As for the roll of film, I’m not going to look into it (get it? look into it . . . nevermind). What if it’s a picture of the second sniper on the grassy knoll, or photos of documents proving alien collaboration with wine makers? Why, I would have all sorts of dark agencies, nefarious Frenchmen, and FSM knows what coming after me. Nope, it’s staying exactly where it’s at.

. . . besides, that’s been opened and closed a number times; I’m pretty sure people have wound and rewound that film.

• Rachael says:

There wasn’t a second sniper. It was Magneto bending the bullet. Keep up!

Ahem. . . Magneto ==>> magnetism.

Per my understanding of his main power, and notwithstanding the movies scenes where he controls any metal, including adamantium, his power is in controlling ferrous metals. Lead bullets or even full jacketed copper bullets would be outside his control.

There are some theories whereas he controls gravity, but that would make him Gravito, or something like that. Of course, if he could control gravity, he would not be limited to only metals.

Others argue for electromagnetism, which might let him control other metals, but there it gets a bit complicated, and lends itself to other problems. For instance, he could create an electromagnetic field around stuff, and crush it, regardless of material, so a lot of the stuff about containing him goes out the window.

In fact, if one adds up everything from the comics and movies, there should be nothing he cannot do or control.

However, that does not change the fact a bent buller would not fly very well . . .

. . . I guess I will have to develop the film after all, although I think another movie established The Comedian as being the second shooter on the grassy knoll. They even had footage of it.

Seeing this camera brought back memories of Lavariano and Don Giovanni taking photos with a camera in a leather case just like the above. I know he had an awesome vintage Hasselblad. Do you have any memories of these cameras?

Not really . . .In fact, I don’t remember ever seeing zio Giovanni with a camera, nor ever looking at any photos he took.

But, in hearing that, I now wish it would have found its way back here . . .

5. TidiousTed says:

Apart from the shutter problem, the camera seams to be in good shape and well kept. I have a few foldouts my self, mainly Voigtländers and Kodaks that I do my best to keep away from my youngest daughter who is a photographer and who loves to use old cameras.I gave her one of my Roleyflexes, a 1952 model, for christmas so that will hopefully keep her away from the rest of my collection for a while ;-)

Right now I’m buying strictly on looks, with function a secondary consideration. Still, it would be interesting seeing if I could, in fact, repair what appear to be minor problems.

On the other hand, I know that minor problems can often lead to major headaches, so for the near future, I’m content to marvel at all the mechanisms, and not necessarily concern myself with shooting photos.

As for you problem, which you’ve now mentioned twice and hence is obviously a cry for help, I am more than willing and able to safeguard your collection at my house. I won’t even charge you for the service; consider it a gesture of good will between our two countries. Why, I would even exercise them occasionally, making sure everything is in good working order.

Let me know.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )