Bob and me

I occasionally invoke the name “Bob” when writing.  Here are examples from a few of my posts:

Why, yes Bob; you can.  But not to the degree that you can with RAW.

That’s a lot of writing, Bob.

Well, Bob, that is a repeater rubber-band pistol.

That’s a lot of miles, Bob.

“Bob” has only recently made increased appearances in my writing, but the practice in both my life (I talk to myself a lot) and in my casual conversations goes back to the early 90’s, when I saw an HBO Special; Richard Jeni: Platypus Man.

The whole thing is on YouTube (what isn’t these days, Bob?), and linked below. In one part of the show Jeni does a skit about football announcers (begins at the 15m 12s mark), and during the skit, he uttered two phrases that struck a chord with me, and I’ve carried with me all this time . . . .

That’s gotta hurt, Bob.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Note: the video was removed by YouTube. You now have to buy the show.

I use both those phrases, but variants of “That’s gotta hurt, Bob” are also used by Melisa as well:

That’s a lot of food, Bob.” (Melisa commenting on my food order at a restaurant)

That’s some crazy driving, Bob.” (Melisa commenting on my driving)

That’s gonna suck, Bob” (me commenting on stuff politicians are doing)

I was not aware, as I am not aware of many such things, this was actually both a meme and a television trope.  This puts me into an uncomfortable position of “going with the crowd”, but I got to tell you Bob, I like this phrase too much to worry about it.

By the way . . . that show is well worth watching, but be aware it contains swearing, and stuff which people with no sense of humor and an over-developed sense of hypocritical righteousness might find objectionable.

Then again, those people have long since stopped reading my blog.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No Substitutions

No Substitutions

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at Disperser.Wordpress.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Please, if you are considering bestowing me some recognition beyond commenting below, refrain from doing so.  I will decline nominations whereby one blogger bestows an award onto another blogger, or group of bloggers.   I appreciate the intent behind it, but I would much prefer a comment thanking me for turning you away from a life of crime, religion, or making you a better person in some other way.  That would actually mean something to me.

Should you still nominate me, I will strongly suspect you pulled my name at random, and that you are not, in fact, a reader of my blog.  If you wish to know more, please read below.

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

Note: to those who may click on “like”, or rate the post; if you do not personally hear from me, know that I am sincerely appreciative, and I thank you for noticing what I do.

This entry was posted in Humor, Opinion, Stuff, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bob and me

Roger that, Bob.

Yes siree, Bob! What about Bob?

Well, Bob, I think Bob is the embodiment of the everyday man, the struggling basically good, somewhat flawed, heart of gold, naive average guy. All want to help him, and all are willing to tell him like it is.

That post makes me really want to use an emoticon in my response just to see what you’d say, Bob. Bob?

Well, Bob, as you well know, emoticons are the foundation and cause for the breakdown of communication in modern society. Why, I would not be surprised if wars have been started by misinterpreted emoticons.

Words are bad enough to interpret and they are, you know, words. Little symbols, often grotesquely animated, are subject to all sorts of possible misunderstanding (i.e. are they laughing with me or at me? Are they happy, or telling me to watch out for the bear coming up behind me? Imagine my disappointment when I turn and there is no bear).

So, Bob, while everyone is certainly free to further erode human-to-human communication, I will refrain from using them evil buggers. I is, after all, be proud of knowing writing stuff.

4. Emily Heath says:

Thanks for the explanation Bob, and hello to you from my three-legged cat, Bob.

5. colonialist says:

Well, you need a name, and then Bob’s your uncle! :)

Actually, I have no uncles named Bob.

• colonialist says:

You do even if you don’t, every time you use the stock name, don’t you?

More like an imaginary brain-addled acquaintance one has to speak very slowly to, and point out the obvious.

I suppose I could imagine him an uncle, but as I did have uncles, and they do not fit that description, I prefer to think of it as someone akin to Dr. Watson (smart enough to get a medical degree, but can’t reason himself out of an open paper bag).

6. Bob down and kiss my arse, old Ozzie saying kind of fits in here somewhere