Black Forest Fire – Colorado Springs

A quick update for them who have asked . . . there are currently three fires around the area.  One is about 9 miles away from us, the Black Forest fire.

The live updates can be found here:

Edited to add (latest updates – June 13, 2013, 3:20 pm MT):

Edited to add (latest updates – June 13, 2013, 3:20 pm MT):

(for reference, I live near the corner of I-25 and County Line Road)

Right now the fire is heading East, and away from us, fueled by winds which can be seen on this map (click south of Denver to zoom in):

Here are a few photos taken from my camera phone on my way home (between 6:40 pm and 7:40 pm).

The view from Woodland Park as I was fueling the car

The view from Woodland Park as I was fueling the car

Around Manitu Spring, on Hwy 24.

Around Manitu Spring, on Hwy 24.

Smoke rising behind Garden of the Gods

Smoke rising behind Garden of the Gods

From I-25, just south of Garden of the Gods Road.

From I-25, just south of Garden of the Gods Road.

20130611_192006

20130611_192036

I-25 near the North Academy exist.

I-25 near the North Academy exist.

Some might think I was snapping pictures while driving.  Why, that would be unsafe!

Anyway, like I said, a quick update.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Please, if you are considering bestowing me some recognition beyond commenting below, refrain from doing so.  I will decline nominations whereby one blogger bestows an award onto another blogger, or group of bloggers.   I appreciate the intent behind it, but I would much prefer a comment thanking me for turning you away from a life of crime, religion, or making you a better person in some other way.  That would actually mean something to me.

Should you still nominate me, I will strongly suspect you pulled my name at random, and that you are not, in fact, a reader of my blog.  If you wish to know more, please read below.

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

Note: to those who may click on “like”, or rate the post; if you do not personally hear from me, know that I am sincerely appreciative, and I thank you for noticing what I do.

This entry was posted in No Category and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Black Forest Fire – Colorado Springs

1. John says:

I suspect, that just like last summer, there are going to be a great many fires again this summer.

2. It looks like another bad fire season. We haven’t had any moisture here for months so I’m afraid we’re in for the same situation. Stay safe.

Not exactly what I wanted to see this morning when I went to read my emails . . . but I imagine it’s much more disturbing to you. Wishing you the best of luck that any fire stays far, far, away from you . . . even in another galaxy.

Well, we are monitoring the wind direction, as it is shifting. In another few hours it’s predicted to blow from the South-East to the North-West (currently from the South, blowing North) . . . that will aim it directly at us.

If it starts moving North-West, I am heading home and be ready to leave on a short notice.

4. Carissa says:

Oh man. Deja vu all over again.

5. colonialist says:

One has to experience a forest fire out of control to appreciate the full horror of it. That, I have done.

6. disperser says:

Yeah . . . me too.

7. disperser says:

To all, I will not update again until I am done with all the preparations.

8. drawandshoot says:

Oh, you really do need rain! I hope you get some, Emilio. That’s alarming!
    I seem to remember you posting forest fires photographs in the past.

That was last year . . . this fire has already surpassed the Waldon Canyon fire with over 360 homes destroyed, over 38,000 people evacuated, and approximately 15,000 acres burned. We are on standby to leave in short notice as the mandatory evacuation areas are now less than 5 miles away. I won’t get pictures of this one (I hope) because there is no great vantage point to watch it.

9. disperser says:

I updated the links to reflect the latest information.

10. seekraz says:

The fires are crazy, Emilio…don’t remember anything of this scale during the years that I lived there…and certainly none as close as these seem to be to the area where we lived.

I hope the fires stay far enough away from you…that you remain safe.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )