Playing with Topaz Suite

A quick post of me taking the Winter Scene from the December Calendar, and playing with some of the filters in the Topaz Suite.

Here is the original photo.

0012_SnowDay_07FEB05

And here are some of the filters.  All these photos (and more) can be seen in the SmugMug gallery (HERE).

Playing with Details

More Paint Options

More Paint Options

More Paint Options

More Paint Options

Mixing and matching

Mixing and matching

There are many, many filters . . . and each have sliders and options.  Lots of stuff to play with.

I will probably start adding one or two with each set of photos I post.  Thanks for stopping by, and remember to check out the SmugMug gallery if interested in a better view of the details.

Open Crossroads

Open Crossroads

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

Please, if you are considering bestowing me some recognition beyond commenting below, refrain from doing so.  I will decline nominations whereby one blogger bestows an award onto another blogger, or group of bloggers.   I appreciate the intent behind it, but I would much prefer a comment thanking me for turning you away from a life of crime, religion, or making you a better person in some other way.  That would actually mean something to me.

Should you still nominate me, I will strongly suspect you pulled my name at random, and that you are not, in fact, a reader of my blog.  If you wish to know more, please read below.

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

Note: to those who may click on “like”, or rate the post; if you do not personally hear from me, know that I am sincerely appreciative, and I thank you for noticing what I do.

This entry was posted in Effects and Filters, Photography Stuff, Writing Stuff and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Playing with Topaz Suite

1. The original is so beautiful that I would not have touched it, but the others are very interesting and I could see it as a large painting. Beautiful composition.

Thanks. I just used the last one I worked with to play with the various options.

I think for something that would be framed and made a part of a decor, some of the filters have possibilities. I just scratched the surface on all the stuff that can be done.

2. ken bello says:

I started playing with Topaz filters a couple of years ago and I’m still playing, but I’be become more selective. There is certainly something for everyone here.

I have lots of post-processing options. Typically, I don’t use many of the canned ones, and only do slight touch-ups in Lightroom. But . . . occasionally it’s fun to play with this stuff.

3. Emily Heath says:

Amazing what can be done, so imaginative.

4. Carissa says:

It just goes to show that one has to start with a great photo before adding the bells and whistles. The original is beautiful, and the filters just make it different but still nice.

5. rebecca2000 says:

I am given awards everyday. I feel like I hurt people’s feelings by not participating. I am glad I am not the only one that doesn’t do it.

Great photos and filters. I love the original the best I think.

While I can appreciate the intent behind the “mutual admiration awards”, I can’t help but think them as devices made up by WordPress to help drive traffic.

I prefer a comment . . . unless it’s a monetary award. Then, by all means, send them my way!! . . . but not if I then have to award 8-9 other blogs. That’s what’s call “negative cash flow”.

6. seekraz says:

I really enjoy the original and the black and white rendering…but the ones with the “paint” effect are really nice, too.

7. Interesting, but I am so oldfashioned that I like the original best. Filters make photos look more like illustrations, that can be very good, but myself I prefer photography…

I agree, and I’m pretty sure I won’t be overdoing it with some of these.

However, I’ve had marginal photos that I was able to make interesting using Photoshop (the high ISO hummingbird shots turned to black and white renderings that looked like pencil drawings).

The advantage with these (and other products) filters is that they are essentially one-click, and you are done. Integrating effects with the original (in layers) might allow for some creative blends.

That said . . . as evident by what I post, the vast majority of my stuff will continue to be . . . photographs (with light editing).

8. margie says:

i was going to say watercolor paintings. these are good.

The original photo can very well stand alone in excellence but your treatments, especially the watercolor ones and the mixed (black outlines), are great examples for me as an artist to see what the program did to turn the photo into a great watercolor. These are all very good visual aids to study, compare and then incorporate into my own work. I say, Emilio, well done and thanks!

10. Somehow I missed this, glad I came back to wish you a Joyous New Year! It’s been fun following your blog, sometimes I laugh sometimes I grit my teeth! but it is always interesting! Look forward to next year! Bonnie

11. Pingback: Topaz Plugins Spring Sale | Disperser Tracks

12. Pingback: Project 313 – Post No. 233 | Disperser Tracks

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )