PATH 006 – Photos Around The House: The Waka

Hawaii is a favorite destination of ours.  Off-and-on we toy with the idea of moving there, but we are too chicken to act on it.

People are quick to say stuff like “That’a a GREAT idea!!  You should totally do that!!”

I know they are just trying to get rid of me, and put some serious distance between us to boot, but really, they could be a little less obvious.

The truth is we did that once.  Not move to Hawai’i, but made a major move. We sold the house, sold a lot of stuff, got rid of lots more, and moved halfway to the other side of the country.  We can certainly do it, but we only have one more move in us.  They are going to bury . . . er . . . cremate us wherever we end up next.  So yes, Hawai’i is a consideration . . . as is Alaska, Arizona, a couple of foreign countries, and, if we get lucky and hitch a ride, Alpha Centauri.

A model trying to represent the idea of a Waka - a Maori migration canoe.

A model trying to represent the idea of a Waka - a Maori migration canoe.

Were we younger, and living hundreds of years ago, we might have hopped on one of these . . . a Maori migration canoe, or “waka”.

We bought this particular model on the Big Island of Hawai’i during one of our many trips.  It was x-mas time, probably in the mid-90’s, and we are walking through a shop looking for something to bring back.

Made from rolled paper, pieces of wood, and a few scrap materials . . .

Made from rolled paper, pieces of wood, and a few scrap materials . . .

This boat catches our eye . . . it’s construction is odd, but appealing.  In those pre-TSA-We-Touch-Your-Crotch days we traveled with hard-sided suitcases that could be locked.  The boat made the trip back home in one of those, but the oars got slightly bent (you can see the creases).  I’m also not sure about the position of the sails . . . The way they are set up they would not work . . . one would catch the wind of the other.

A blended-layers version of the previous shot.  Some places it did not blend well, but the details came out well

A blended-layers version of the previous shot. Some places it did not blend well, but the details came out well

The SmugMug gallery has photographs from different angles.  For each view, there is a shot at f/22, trying to get lots of depth of field . . .

ISO 100, f/22, 1/20sec.

ISO 100, f/22, 1/20sec.

Then there is a Photoshop blended layer shot . . .

Blended Layers - 5 photographs

Blended Layers - 5 photographs

. . . which you can tell from the odd fringing visible in almost all of the shots . . .

And a different processing of the f/22 photograph . . .

I call it my quasi-Black-&-White shot . . . I just thought it looked neat.

I call it my quasi-Black-&-White shot . . . I just thought it looked neat.

I was going to do a lot more with the photos . . . B&W, different processing, some art-work, and other stuff.

Alas, I’m running out of time for putting up a post for the day (more on that later).  In fact, I have blended layers shots which I will not be able to process because they take time and it’s getting late.  So, I’m just going to show some of the ones in the gallery, so I can wrap this up.

The front view . . .

The front view . . .

. . . the aft view . . .

. . . the aft view . . .

. . . a few details on the boat . . .

. . . a few details on the boat . . .

. . . and details on the two sails . . .

Sail fabric close-up

Sail fabric close-up

Other sail fabric close-up

Other sail fabric close-up

People might wonder about the golden cast to the pictures.  I thought it would go well with the subject.  And no, it’s not done by manipulating the photographs.  These are pretty much the way they were shot.

I had a relatively small window to shoot using the sun as it was setting, but I knew it was going to be too bright.  I lack a proper studio (don’t do these kind of shots often), so I set up a make-shift, low-tech, pulled-from-my-nether-region studio.

The set-up for the shots

The set-up for the shots

A white screen to keep direct sun off the subject (and diffuse the light), a gold screen reflecting direct sunlight onto the boat, and two pieces of foam board for the setting.  That’s our kitchen/breakfast table.  That’s the back yard behind my “studio”, and for all them bloggers who have been posting “spring is here” stuff . . . yes, that snow on the ground.

That snow is from over a week ago, and there is still more than six inches covering the grass despite the near-60 degree weather.  Spring for us is 6-8 weeks (and likely a couple of major snowstorms) away.

I must now make a painful announcement . . . I enjoyed tremendously posting something every day.  However, most of what I do requires a large amount of time (four hours today), and it’s just not feasible for me to continue at this pace.

I don’t like the idea of changing the character of my posts.  I want them to continue to be a mix of narrative and photographs (unless it’s commentary or fiction, but that too takes time), so rather than change the format of the content, I plan to change the frequency.

Starting this week (now, actually), I will do regular posts on Wednesday and Saturdays.  I may post more frequently is time allows, but two posts a week will be the minimum.  That should allow me to take care of my other interests, and ensure I don’t just slop something up here.

As usual, thanks for visiting and reading my stuff.

<><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><>

About awards: Blogger Awards          About “likes”:   Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

Note: to those who may click on “like”, or rate the post; if you do not personally hear from me, know that I am sincerely appreciative, and I thank you for noticing what I do.

This entry was posted in Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to PATH 006 – Photos Around The House: The Waka

1. bluelyon says:

I grew up in Hawaii, so I was especially tickled to see the gourd on the boat. Yes, they were used for food for the ancient Hawaiians, but my memories of them are in dancing the hula: holding the gourd with my left hand and beating rhythm with the heel and fingers of my right while moving to a Hawaiian chant. Bum-bump, bum-bump-bump.Bum-bump, bum-bump-bump. Sigh. Homesick.

Planning to move back there eventually?

. . . and I’m a little envious . . . people imagine many things better than they are, but I’ve never heard anyone bitching about growing up in Hawai’i. I can’t help but imagine it as pretty good.

• bluelyon says:

I loved growing up there, but it is different. And I learned what prejudice is from the other side of the street. But even that taught me a lot of how to be (and how NOT to be). I wouldn’t have traded it for anything though. I’ve always said that salt water and sunshine heals everything. I loved the history, the food, the people, the music, the culture.

I miss it very much. Every time Brad and I go to visit we try and figure out how we can stay. And seriously, if I have anything to say about it, I’d like to die there. So maybe, some day, we’ll go back for good.

Wild guess . .natives not taking kindly to non-natives?

That is a slight concern when we speak of moving there. I’m assuming it does not drift into action (natives with torches and pitchforks storming my residence), but I’ve experienced some rudeness even as a tourist . I imagine it might be worse for someone who relocates there.

Then again, I’m not known for requiring friends. As long as it’s all dirty looks and ostracizing that I am the target of, then it would be a snap to handle (I practically trained my whole life for it).

2. Again, a fabulous series of photos. On moving I’ve only experienced the pleasure once when the home where I grew up in then bought was washed away in a flood. One day I was there, the next I was not! It was the best thing that ever happened to my husband and myself! It forced us to re-examine life and take chances!

Oddly enough, natural disasters play a part in our decisions . . . as in trying to avoid places prone to them. One of the reasons we don’t live in any of the beautiful subdivisions atop hills covered with spruce and other evergreens . . . the area is prone to fires.

Hawaii has volcanoes, and of course has the potential for hurricanes and tsunamis. But then, there are not many “safe” places on Earth (or anywhere, as far as I can tell).

But yes, events pushed us in all the moves we made.

3. Shannon says:

Hawaii is a beautiful place. Maybe your friends want you to move there so they have a free place to crash. I took advantage of my sister’s temporary stay there to take my mom on a budget vacation there. It was fab!!

Nice work on the make-shift studio and photos with details. I will keep that in my mind for future set-up of my own. You know, like, steal your intellectual property…

An interesting looking little boat and even more so when the photo is blended or quasi-B&W-ed. Overall, great shots.

And Shannon reminded me how much I’d love to take mother on a budget vacation to Hawaii, provided you guys move there . . . since I also have a few things that I’d like the salt water and sunshine to take care of . . .

And last but not least, I concur with your decision to reduce the number of posts per week. I prefer you posts un-slopped quality, as they have been. This will also allow me to catch up and take my time to view the SmugMug galleries and bask in the beauty of the subjects and ponder the resulting creative insights and revisit my favorites. It will also allow you to experiment more and provide new and exciting creative masterpieces!

P.S. I know that there’s not much said about your writing but it “fills your paper with the breathings of your heart”. ~William Wordsworth

Thanks.

Very few people read my writing. I understand the opinion pieces, but I thought the fiction would get more play.

The highest viewed is the Zombie one (33 views, and that was listed on a popular podcast FaceBook page)

Next is the first Wanderer (30 views, a friend forwarded it to some of his friends)

My favorite, Pirates Vs. Ninja only has 6 views, and Nothing Left to See only 3.

My current views are 10,900 . . . the combined views of the stories I mentioned is 72, or 0.66%

When people tell me I should try to get published I just laugh, the same as when they tell me I should try and sell my photos.

The important thing is that you write and shoot for the joy it brings YOU. I prefer to think that perhaps one day you will get published and that your photos will have worldwide acclaim. That’s my wish for you!

Yes; if you notice I constantly stress it is primarily for me (my advice to others as well). Perhaps that is part of the problem . . . I cater to a very limited target audience.

If you are taking requests, I rather your wish be that an alien race decides they want to take me (and others who wish to go) out of here. Surely the odds are better for that than for the world-wide acclaim.

6. Thanks for taking us to your journey of picturing this beautiful little ‘waka’.
    And maybe you should move to Hawaii, and not ’cause some people will get rid of you, but just because YOU want it! Just spread your wings and fly, follow your dreams where-ever they may take you!
    But then again who am I ;)

7. disperser says:

Why, thou are Joanna, Water Muse, Keeper of the H and Twice Oh, Ruler of the Wet Realm . . . hast thou forgotten?

8. I moved to Hawaii when I was 21 and lived there for 25 years. So I spent most of my adult life there. This looks like a replica of the Hokulea. While I was living in Hawaii, the Hokulea made several voyages between Hawaii and Tahiti using only ancient navigation. It was pretty fascinating.

You know, I wasted some time looking for those very pictures. I remembered having seen the general shape, and wanted to double-check the sail positions (I knew they were wrong), but could not remember the name.

I did a search on Maori canoes, and they were semi-close. Many had the same arrangement, but slightly different sails.

Thanks for the information.

9. Pingback: Hōkūleʻa | Disperser Tracks

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )