Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

In recent weeks I’ve had an increase in traffic to this blog, and doubled my subscribers.  In part this is due to me posting every day as opposed to once every week or so.

Part of the increase is due to other bloggers chancing on my blog and liking something they see.  Part is due to me seeing something I like, saying so or subscribing to the blog, and the other person reciprocating.  Sometime bloggers read my comments on other blogs and come to check out my blog, and the process repeats.

Here is the thing . . . I used to thank every blogger that liked a post of mine.  It was to acknowledge I truly and honestly appreciate the positive feedback.  If I saw something I liked or found interesting on their blog, I subscribed.  What I noticed was an almost immediate reciprocal subscription.  Maybe they wanted to all along, but to me it seems suspiciously like a quid-pro-quo, as if they felt obliged to do so, or worse yet, rewarding me for subscribing to their blog.

So, with all that in mind . . .

1) the numbers of “likes” I get now exceed my capacity to acknowledge every one.  Rest assured I still visit the blog of each person “liking” my posts, but if I wrote something in each one, I would use up time I prefer spending playing with photographs, words, or learning stuff.  Not saying I won’t, just saying don’t be put out if you don’t hear from me.  What has not changed is my sincere gratitude for the appreciation of my stuff.

1a) if I like a post, or comment on a post of yours, don’t feel you have to do the same to one of my posts.  It means I found your post interesting, and wanted to recognize and reward the effort behind it.  No need to thank me, or like a post of mine, unless your heart is really in it.  After all, we likely don’t know each other.

2) if I subscribe to your blog, it’s because I deemed it interesting enough to be worth my time.  Maybe I think I will learn something, be entertained, or otherwise get something out of it.  In other words, I subscribed for my benefit, and my benefit alone. It’s not to make you like me (few people find that ability within them), to get you to recognize me, to increase traffic on my blog, etc. etc.

2b) if someone subscribes to my blog, I would like to think they have looked at the sum-total of my stuff, and found it interesting.  I know some of my friends and family subscribe only for the photos, and ignore the rest of the stuff (they know me well), so I can easily accept that of strangers as well.  However, if you are subscribing to my blog just because I subscribed to yours, you are doing me a disservice, and fueling an already ginormous ego.  Stop that.

I will be adding a note and link to this post at the end of each of my entries.  It may seem excessive, presumptuous even, but I have been concerned about the blogging etiquette and responsibility with regards to interaction with other blogs, and while I am not saying others should do the same,  this clarifies how I intend to approach it.

Thanks,

ejd

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Other Stuff, Personal and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Of “Likes”, Subscriptions, and Stuff

1. I don’t have a blog, am almost as antisocial as you are, and only comment on your writings when I have something to say about them. Sometimes, you are the only amusing spot in a dreary day (usually because you are posting a tirade about something or other.) Gotta appreciate that!

You make me laugh out loud, or even smile, that deserves a thank you.

You don’t need to comment back, in any case. Although you can if you feel like it.

2. disperser says:

. . . but thanks.

3. I thought ginormous egos need to be stroked!

• But seriously, I try to think what would be beneficial for that person and what they are trying to share and comment appropriately. I must admit your blog can raise my blood pressure so there are times I can’t even read it! I think that is a testament to the power of your words!

Ahhhh . . . feels good!

Edited to add . . . this was supposed to go after the last previous comment.

4. disperser says:

One of the things I switched on (that I don’t often see elsewhere) is the Crap-Star rating system (my own name – others just call it a rating system).

That offers more nuanced ratings than “like” or nothing, but hardly anyone uses it. And I think it’s anonymous (not sure about that, but I don’t see names or get notices when someone rates posts by clicking on the appropriate star).

As for making someone’s blood boil . . . sigh . . . sure wish I literally had that ability. There’s a long list of bad people I would want to take care of.

BUT . . . I believe I did post warning that even friends and family tend to avoid some of my content (with the appropriate roll of the eyes and “there he goes again”).

I know full well I won’t change anyone’s mind (never have), but that’s not the point is it? The point is to perhaps offer up a bit of my own thinking so that others might gain a measure of understanding of what I am about. And, of course, to set my own thought in order.

Thanks for reading, and lest I trigger some adverse reaction, perhaps it’s best to just look at the pictures and avoid my brilliant, but microwave-like, words.

5. bluelyon says:

I with you. It’s enough to keep up with all the email I get (blog-related or not). I subscribe to blogs I think are interesting, not because I want others to subscribe to mine. If they like what I do, fine. If not, also fine. Thanks for reminding me of the star system. I have it on my Blue Lyon, but forgot to turn in on for my photo blog. I agree that it provides a better key of what people really think of my work.

No need to reply. Really.

6. Genie says:

I removed all likes, comments, tags and shares on my blog. Just want to write poetry, don’t like this public display of who likes my stuff. It’s usually done in order to have a “like” on one of their posts, but not always, that’s for sure, I have many people who still “like” my post without the “like” button. It means more to me and like you, I don’t feel obliged to “like” back.
    If I do leave a comment or press a “like” button – it’s because I genuinely mean it.

7. Rachael says:

Same wavelength again. I like your style. I may have to copy it. ;)

8. Pingback: Crow, Hawk, Falcon and no Snowman | Disperser Tracks

9. Pingback: Christian Haters | Disperser Tracks

10. Pingback: NaNoWriMo No. 2 – Chapters 16 & 17 pre-post | Disperser Tracks

11. Pingback: Leg update numero due | Disperser Tracks

12. Pingback: NaNoWriMo No. 2 – Chapters 19 and 20 pre-post | Disperser Tracks

13. Pingback: Just Stuff – Early Cigarette Lighter | Disperser Tracks

14. GP Cox says:

There was no place to comment on your Jerk post – just wanted to let you know I got a big kick out it. We’re ALL jerks at some point or another – just others more than some….?

15. Margie says:

I was going to respond to your Rude Awakening post. I use the ‘Like’ button a lot, especially if I have nothing new or useful to add. I think WordPress should only let you use the ‘Like’ button if you have been on the webpage long enough to actually read the page…

Usually, I get 2-3 likes within minutes of posting something . . . except I rarely do short posts. There’s just no way for anyone to read them (or just look at the photos) that fast. That said, I don’t worry about it anymore.

As for the suggestion . . . I think most of the people use the Reader. There’s no way for WP to know what they are reading or how long. In my case, I don’t allow the Reader to show the whole post. That means that more than half of the likes I get are from people who missed most of what I posted. Again, I don’t worry about it anymore.

• Margie says:

Personally, I don’t think the ‘Like’ button should be available on the Reader for post excerpts. In an ideal world, there would be an algorithm that disabled the ‘Like’ button for those who abused it…

Personally, I would like to hunt them and put them down, but I understand people frown on that sorts of thing.

I see our family interaction as one of great Respect (and a strong foundation of Love). And that’s the way . . . I like it!