Impertinent Hummingbird – 2008

Occasionally I go through photographs from years past, cleaning up stuff I’m never going to use.  Sometimes, I find stuff I should have used.

Guarding the feeders

Guarding the feeders

We used to try and grow tomatoes in pots on our deck.  The wire you see there was to support the plants which seldom yielded enough to make it worth trying to grow them.

He was not happy with me

He was not happy with me

The wires formed a good perch for the hummingbirds intent on guarding the four feeders we have in the back.  I saw this guy as as was sitting eating dinner, so I opened the screen door and grabbed my camera.  Less than pleased, this little guy started ruffling his feathers.

They can look really mean!

They can look really mean!

And flashing me his “stay away from my feeders” signals.

These guys hardly ever sit still, even when perched

These guys hardly ever sit still, even when perched

We came to an understanding; an acceptance of each other’s right to be where we were.  Mutual respect permeated the  . . . Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!

That does not look like respect!!

That does not look like respect!!

The little shit!!

The little shit!!

Sigh . . . the story of my life.

As usual, click HERE if interested in the SmugMug Gallery, and thanks for reading.

This entry was posted in Feathers, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Impertinent Hummingbird – 2008

1. Sarah says:

Maybe sticking your tongue out means something different in hummingbird. Awesome shots!

Maybe so, but the narrative would not have been as funny.

Actually, I maligned him a bit. He could care less what I was doing. They are used to me snapping away. Sometimes I can get very close . . . http://bit.ly/yjqnoo

That shot was taken with my macro lens about six inches away. I kept creeping forward, shooting the whole while. But that was unusual; normally the sound of the shutter scares them off.

If interested, here’s a very shot video (taken with a crappy phone a few years ago) of them landing on my finger to feed: http://bit.ly/ygYmAC

I had the finger too far away, and it got annoyed and buzzed my face, then waited nearby, and came back in when I moved closer.

2. Reblogged this on Static Instants and commented:
    Check this out!

3. Elisa says:

he is a gorgeous little guy…

4. Awesome shots! His detail is amazing!

5. Love those hummingbirds! And I still get a kick out of the one sitting on your finger so he could relax and have a drink. Amazing birds!

6. fantastic photos, I am glad you go through your ‘old stuff’ sometimes; maybe you should do that more often if something as beautiful as this pops up.

7. Luisella says:

Awesome, as usual.

8. Luisella says:

Awesome, as usual!

He (she?) is a beauty! Naturally, checking out the close-up details in SmugMug was a real treat. And who’s to say that you (his size) wouldn’t stick your tongue out at someone (your size) coming close with a camera!?!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )