The Flowers of Harlincin Court

Light Blue Columbines

Soon after moving into our Harlincin Court house we bought a couple of columbine plants.  The people at the nursery told us they would flower a few years, and then die off.

Eleven years later we had columbines all over.  Where I planted the original three plants there was a flowerbed easily 20ft by 10ft that was covered with a dense carpet of columbine plants.  The only flowered briefly each year, but by the end the diversity was amazing.  I typically harvested the seeds, and threw them everywhere.  Even brought some here, to Colorado.  They do not grow as fast, or tall, or spread as much.  This is, after all, a desert area.

Click on any of the pictures to be taken to the SmugMug album.  Nearly all these flowers are from the summer of 2003.  A few are from the fall of 2002.  I cut my photographic teeth on photographing stuff around the house, learning from trial and error.

Edited To Add: WordPress did its thing again, and all the links are gone. The SmugMug gallery for this post can be found HERE, or, if that link also goes, copy and past the following to your browser:

Pink Daylilies

If you go to the gallery you will find a lot of lilies photographs.  Pink, orange, yellow, but we had more than that.

We would usually buy nearly moribund plants at the end of the season, and end up with vigorous plants for the next summer.  Perhaps they were grateful to be saved from certain destruction.

They were a favorite of the groundhogs that came to feast in our yard.  I lost count of the number of groundhogs I trapped and relocated.

I also used to trap and relocate chipmunks, as every year they got so numerous they threatened the flowerbeds.  I love the little critters, but they reproduce worse than humans.

Black Eyed Susans

Pink Rose Bush

Orange Dahlia

White Dahlia

Black Eyed Susans, roses, a variety of Dahlias, all made appearances throughout the yard.

Hibiscus Flower

For a while we had Hibiscus plants, but two consecutive years of Aphids attacks did them in.  We opted not to replace them.

Butterfly and Cone Flowers

The Cone Flowers attracted butterflies, and when I would see one out there I would run out.  I am sure the neighbors thought I was nuts, kneeling around the flowerbeds, snapping away like a little kid in a candy store.

Morning Bells

We had a Morning Bells plant that grew up and around the mailbox post.  They only flowered late in the season, but they were a nice diversion from the typical flowers.

So, where was all this stuff?  Our House was on Harlincin Court, in Franklin, Michigan.  The following pictures give you an idea of the layout, but they are not indicative of the place.  I never shot the flowerbeds and home to the extent that I should have to document both the arrangements of flowers, and the amazing variety of trees I had on the property (one of the previous owners was a horticulturalist).  Some of the trees on the property were valued in the thousands of dollars.  Some were irreplaceable.

Click on any of the pictures to go to the gallery of the house and surroundings.

North portion of the back yard from the drive

South portion of the back yard

South portion of the house

North portion of the back yard, and the shed

Front of the house

South end, front of the house

The patio

The entrance to the pool

The pool was fairly private, and great for parties.

Looking back toward the patio

Well, that’s it for now.

This entry was posted in Butterflies, Flowers, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Flowers of Harlincin Court

Well done, Emilio! I especially like the “Orange Dahlia” and the “Hibiscus Flower” because of their rich color and great texture. As far as the Harlincin Court house, I always thought of it as an enchanting refuge amid those splendid trees, flora and fauna. Thanks for the memories!

2. Shannon says:

Hibiscus? In CO? I’m stunned! Sorry I’m late to this post. But I have to say I’m glad to have stumbled upon your blog. Playing with that “random post” gets me a whole host of different things. Your from IL or MI (my hubby is from MI) and moved to CO (that’s where we’ll end up, promise). Enjoying the stroll in your lovely garden. Mine’s not-so-pretty yet. So I hope you don’t mind if I enjoy your scenery.

No, those flowers are from Franklin, Michigan. We have far fewer here in Colorado, and not as varied.

• Shannon says:

You know, I just stopped at the flowers, viewed on SmugMug. I clicked and enjoyed every single one of those beauties, and I guess never went back and finish reading the post where you so clearly had already answered my silly question!

But I’m still amazed at the tropical feel that is that backyard in Franklin. I lost all of my tropicals (hibiscus, plumeria, ginger, bougainvillea) during two successive freezes, one of which was freakish snow (we’re 30 mins from Galveston).

No problem; I like when people go to Smugmug. I put a fair amount of effort on writing over there as well, and I think as much as the blog has a different feel to it, the pictures are best viewed in Smugmug.

Man, you are really going through the blog . . . probably have not hit any of the fiction yet. I’ve been remiss in writing/posing more.

• Shannon says:

No. You are one of 5 or 6 newly-discovered bloggers for me this last week. That “random post” is awesome for catching me up on your (their) material from way back — some gems. Of course, if you feel there’s anything specific I would enjoy, clue me in. Send me an email! :)

As for the tropical feel, it was not intentional. We just liked flowers of all kind. As for the drought, in 2002 we also had a bad drought (lost the water pump, had to sink a deeper well, brought in a big cistern and brought in water just so we could keep all the flowers alive, etc). One of the reason we are doing much less here in Colorado . . . permanent semi-drought.

Can’t be that far back . . . I’ve been posting for less than a year.

As for what you might enjoy . . . hard for me to judge what others like. I write fiction I would like to read (and I do re-read my stuff). Probably the two Wanderer stories (my latest fiction) are fairly universal in their appeal (meaning no one hated them outright). The first Wanderer story was re-edited based on feedback I received (I still prefer the original). The last one stands as is.

Aside those two, for pure humor there’s the Zombie Apocalypse story . . .

Really, anything under the Writing menu is some of the most fantastic, mind-blowing, knock-your-socks off writing you will ever read . . . or so I’ve come to believe despite a serious lack of confirmation.